Clear all

truss rod??

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I really get hard fret buzz on my bass guitar and asked one of my friend and told me to do something with truss rod....
ok i know where truss rod is but my question is which way to i turn it to get the neck to curve towards the string so the neck could look like this                                neck ---->     )|      <--- string    and which way to i turn to get the neck look like this      neck ------> (| <--- string

hope i made my self clear ....

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Going clockwise makes the neck bow towards the strings, I think.

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Messing with the truss rod can seriously mess up your intrument if you dont know what your doing, have you simply tried adjusting the action?

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@david_mohn)
Trusted Member

I would take it to a guitar tech to have the truss adjusted.  It is quite easy to break the rod unless you know what you are doing.  And rather expensive to replace a broken truss rod.

ReplyQuote
(@kc13088)
Trusted Member

Here is a rule I have found to test how straight the neck of a guitar or bass is:
Fret the first fret on the low e-string.  With the right hand, fret the fourteenth fret.  Check the distance between the string and the fret wire at the sixth fret.  If the distance is greater than the thickness of the low e-string of a guitar, then you can tighten the truss rod(clockwise) slightly to straighten the neck a bit.  If the string is very close to the fret or even touching, the truss rod shouldn't need to be adjusted unless you are experiencing fret buzz.  If you are, then loosen truss rod slightly(counter-clockwise) to allow a little more up-bow.

A few things to note:
1) Don't ever adjust the truss rod more than a quarter-turn at a time.
2) Allow up to a half an hour between adjustments to allow the truss rod to work its magic.
3) This test should also be performed on the highest string on the guitar or bass as well.  If the distance between the string and the fret is different from the lowest string to the highest string, the neck may be twisted, which requires the attention of a knowledgeable guitar tech.
4) If you have one, use a capo on the first fret to make the job a little easier on yourself.
5) If one or two complete turns of the truss rod nut doesn't fix the problem, there may be something more serious wrong with the guitar and should be taken to a guitar tech.

ReplyQuote