Skip to content
When is David's bas...

Notifications
Clear all

When is David's bass book bound to be out?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@estambre)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm a little anxious... to say the least
I even bought a bass for the event

So...

(@davidhodge)

According to my publisher, they are hoping for the book to be out the first week of September. I've finished my final read-through of it (had to trim thirty-two pages!) and the Art Department is doing some final tweaking of the images and music. Should be at the printers in late July or early August.

Amazon.com has two different dates posted for availability: September 1 and September 5. But I've heard that Amazon often uses dates simply to have one up online. The folks at Alpha Books tell me that these dates are reasonable, given the production schedule.

Amazon.com also seems to be having all sorts of problems with the book profile. First they kept listing the book under the name of a different author (someone else was originally contracted to write it and it didn't happen - that's how the book ended up being assigned to me). Now they have me listed as the author but are still using the old author's bio. They had my bio up for about three weeks and now it's back to the other guy.

So there you have it. We're hoping to have copies to be used for a giveaway here at Guitar Noise. This would probably happen sometime in August if we're lucky. Keep an eye on the home page and newsletter for details. Probably also on the "Freebie and Contests" page here at the Forum as well.

It's been a lot of work and time and I truly hope that people find this to be a good and useful tutorial.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

David,
Great news. I'm looking forward to it.

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Copies to give away, huh? First come, first served? Competition? Or on a who-needs-help-the-most basis? If the answer is the last one, MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@estambre)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for answering, David.

Well, I'll try to be patient. Lucky I also got some bass stuff for beginners (which is going to keep me busy even after your book is out):

Lost Art of Country Bass Book/CD By: Keith Rosier
Bass Guitar: With Cd (Progressive Young Beginners) By: Gary Turner
Blues Bass (Progressive Young Beginners) By: Stephan Richter
Reggae Bass (Bass Builders) By: Friedland Ed
The Ultimate Beginner Series: Blues Bass Steps 1 & 2

I'm a guitarist who's been playing 3,5 years and having often heard that a guitarist should try bass (and because I thought David's book might be as revelatory as his lessons), well here I am. This far I'm confirming these expectations because you need to learn the notes of the chord positionwise, similarly to the way the pentatonic scales are learned (root, 3rd fifth) or you learn the scale starting from a root position.

It's what I gathered from the first day of learning bass and I think it's pretty useful and fun.

Keep us posted on the book, please

And don't forget your anxious worldwide guitar-audience.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I'm up for getting a copy - my son plays a bit of bass and would like to play better.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I was fortunate to be able to read some of David's work on that book last night. Got a letter in the mail. Just the table of contents tells me this book is going to be fantastic! I'm buying a copy for my brother. But, before I give it to him, I'll certain read if a few times.

Sorry they made you cut 30+ pages. I'm of the "more-is-better" crowd. I think the font, layout, and appearance is top-notch pro. But I like the light-hearted author giving info as if he's sitting right next to you. :D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote