3rd fret dilemma

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

hi to all axes and fretboys ,

i have been playin guitar since 4 months.I can play open chords and wel can shift btw em pretty well (not perfectly ).I can do a bit of fingerpicking as well.I know playing barre chords but i hardly use them.The fact is everytime i get down to practice i almost never go above 3 rd fret.It seems like i am stuck completly and would never be able to use the whole fretboard.Any hopes or suggestions :? .Hey ,by the way to tell u , i play lefty.

The baby guitarist :wink: ,
Rahul

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You've already identified one of the reasons - you rarely use barre chords. Very few, if any open chords, have any application higher than the 3rd fret. Shapes, such as the C7 shape, which can be moved all the way up the fretboard, don't count as an open shape, because no open strings are played.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Mix up your songs with barre chords and different chord voicings as well as learn a few scales.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

There is a lesson called "Moving on Up" that may help you cross that boundary.

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=71

Have fun!

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Sit down with an instructor and get to talking about:

(In no particular order)
CAGED
Note relationships
Power chords
Movable shapes
Barre Chords
Triads

Get yourself deep into this, and you'll find you can play every chord and every scale in virtually every position with a little stretching. Add to that some melody exercises and you'll find the fretboard completely opened up to you...

During your early playing, yes, you're going to feel a little confined by those first three frets, but take the time to use them well, learn all the notes on all 6 strings, memorize all the forms and the normal variations (major, minor, 7, major 7, 9, 11, 13, suspended, augmented, diminished) along with your basic scales. Your solid knowledge and comfort there will translate into strong skills later on all over the fretboard.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi undercat ,
Tell one thing more -
What do you mean by 'note relationships' and 'triad'
Thanks

ReplyQuote