Clear all

New to GN

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@phoenix_born_again)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone.

I've been writing lyrics for years, collaborating with a great friend, but after an accident he's unable to play guitar anymore, so I've taken his most prized possession and am desperatley trying to learn.

What I need to know would most probably take years to read :lol: , so first off...

Re-stringing. Is there a simplier way? Every time I try tuning the high E it slips, then snaps without ever going in tune. All I can say about the strings is they're MARTIN steel strings. I think I through away the packet so I couldn't help on gauge.

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the Musical Madhouse.

The best I've ever seen is FRETS.com' restringing clinic.

It sounds to me like you're winding up an octave too high -- that's the only reason I can think of that you'd snap the string consistently when restringing.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@phoenix_born_again)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the link. I'll go and check it out.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The usual reason for strings breaking (apart from sharp edges, which are seldom on a well used guitar) is that you are trying to tune to the wrong octave.

If you have an electronic tuner, use the tone generator to tune the high E string, 5th fret to 440Hz (concert A, the usual tone, generated by a tuner).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

If nothing else keep an eye on the tension while your tuning up. As soon as you get rid of the sloppy string sound keep an eye on the tuner.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

hi ,
maybe your intonation is not right.Any by the way how old is the guitar.It really depends a lot on the condition of the bridge , saddle , nut besides the strings and stringing.Check that too. :wink:

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Welcome to guitarnoise! I'll give a +1 on the Frets.com reccomendation, it taught me how to restring.. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote