Clear all

A Chord Trouble

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@hobozcar2000)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm very new to the guitar and I've been haveing a lot of trouble fingering the A Chord. Every time I play it the D String gets a lot of rattle because my finger is to far back on the fret. Is there any trick to this chord or something I'm doing wrong?

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

If you're using fingers 1, 2 & 3, try using fingers 2, 3 & 4 instead. Those three fingers take up a little less room, which might allow you to get closer to the fret on the D string.

ReplyQuote
(@hobozcar2000)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've tried it using fingers 1,2,3 and 2,3,4. So far I have had the most success using finger 2 on D, 1 on G, and 3 on B but it is harder to transition to next chord.

ReplyQuote
(@cicontention)
Trusted Member

I've found the barred A to be easy. Just apply some pressure.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I've tried it using fingers 1,2,3 and 2,3,4. So far I have had the most success using finger 2 on D, 1 on G, and 3 on B but it is harder to transition to next chord.

Keep trying the A chord, using the fingering you mentioned above. As you get more comfrtable with it, it is easier to transition to another chord.

ReplyQuote
(@hobozcar2000)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks for all the help guys.

ReplyQuote
(@the-todd)

That's what I had to do when I first started "2 on D, 1 on G, and 3 on B". Then I did 2,3,4 and now 1,2, and 3 is no problem.
It'll get easier.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

So far I have had the most success using finger 2 on D, 1 on G, and 3 on B but it is harder to transition to next chord.
I use that same fingering on most occasions. It's not necessarily harder in transition, it depends what you're changing to. Some changes are actually easier.

A to D for instance is one you're likely to come across in a few songs. The index finger on the G string stays where it is and you only need to swing two over.

A bit further down the track when you've built your skills up a bit you might find it useful to develop more than one fingering for the same chord. This can help faster changes, depending on what comes before and after.

You'll also find that after a while you won't even think about it - you'll be able to change to and from a wide range of chords without using pivots, slides or anchor points, but that does generally take a lot of months of practice.

Also, 2,3,4 is handy if you can master it as you can use that arrangement two frets down when you get onto playing a B chord.

In the meantime, I wouldn't sweat too much about nailing arrangements that you find hard. Put them on the back burner while you work on something else, and just pop back and try again every so often. As your finger skills improve in general you'll find that things that just seemed out of the question a few weeks ago now aren't so tough. Like The Todd said. :)

Good luck.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@jakejohn001)

this might seem a bit slackish, but i just semi-barre the a chord with one finger, only hitting the A, D, G, and B strings. of course you could always use the E formation on the 5th fret, but that might take a bit more practice.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

It will come with time. When I first started I could only get 2,1,3 to work for me. Now depending upon what chord I came from and/or am going to it might be a barre, 1,2,3; or 2,3,4.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Here's yet another variation for you.

I know a skilled guitarist who frets the open A chord as 3,2,1. That is, the ring finger on D, middle on G, and index on B.

Doesn't work for me, but different shaped hands just fit onto the fretboard differently.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote