Clear all

Shorter Strap?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@cicontention)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I am looking to buy a shorter strap. The strap that I bought with my first guitar seems too long. The guitar, at it's minimum length, still hangs a little below my betloop. This is uncomfortable for me as I feel the distance between the guitar and my eyeballs is too far.

I would prefer it to be closer up toward the middle of my torso, or at least at the top of my belly button, ala Albert Hammond Jr. of the Strokes or Tim Buckley.

Is there a specific type of strap to buy for this? Do I need to buy a new screw to place at the top of the guitar?

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I usually just get the cheapie nylon web type straps - with the buckle. I like having the guitar up high as well because it's easier on my wrist.

If this is for your acoustic, pretty much the same thing. As far as the strap button, some acoustics have a button near the heel of the neck, most don't. You could put one in (or have someone do it), or like lots of acoustic players, you could loop a length of shoestring (or similar nice looking cord) around the headstock right behind the nut and before the first couple of tuners, and tie that into the hole of the regular guitar strap.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Or you could just buy a shorter strap man, lol.

Measure the length of your current strap, then adjust it to see what length would work for you. Then go back to MF and get one at the right inches.

BTW, what kinda strap did you get?

ReplyQuote
(@cicontention)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

The $10 Fender one, I do believe. Most straps come around that length. I think it has to do with the tie up.

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

I usually just get the cheapie nylon web type straps - with the buckle. I like having the guitar up high as well because it's easier on my wrist.

Yeah, I have one of those too and you can shorten it as far up as you need.

ReplyQuote