Notifications
Clear all

guitarist's block?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jakejohn001)
Topic starter  

i have just written a WILD piece of acoustic music which all of my friends really dug, and now i cant write anything else. it was a kind of jazzy song, but even the most non-jazz listener could like it. does anybody know of any players that could influence me who are dipped in a little jazz but are more related to other kinds of music, maybe like a david gilmour or something.

(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

The first two I can think of are John Frusciante (RHCP) and Tom Morello (Audioslave). Not jazz per se, not so much acoustic either, but they just WAIL and have such distinct voices. One of my favorite acoustic players lately is Ani DiFranco. Tough little punk-folk-barroom-coffeehouse type. She does what she wants, and it sounds real.
You might need to give yourself some down time after this triumph, let your creative batteries recharge, take things in for a while. It's cool. The music will be there when you need it. I'm finally getting melodies down to lyrics I wrote 20 years ago! Not that I recommend taking that long ;)

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@jakejohn001)
Topic starter  

heh, thanks, indiana_jonesin. ill try to listen to the players youve just listed. good luck on your melodies and your songs, and happy new year.

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

One hit wonder! ;) Not that that's a paticularly bad thing.. I enjoy that Spirit in the Sky song.

All kidding aside.. keep at it, I'm sure you'll bust out of that funk.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Brian Setzer comes to mind. He seems to move easily from big band, jazz, rockabilly, etc.

Frank Zappa. His music was so much more complex than rock and roll. Not even sure you can define exactly WHAT it was! But, there are certainly jazz influences in there, among other things.

Michael Angelo Batio. Not very well known outside guitarist circles, but he is a shred monster. But, I recently read an article he wrote for Guitar World, in which he stated that his influences were jazz players like DiMeola, McLuaghlin, etc.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Listen to Meddle, Pink Floyd album.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hey Jakejohn....first of all, welcome to GN.....

When you say you can't write anything else, do you mean you can't write a single thing, or is it that everything you write is sounding the same? Stuck in a rut, so to speak?

If it's the former, well, it happens to everyone at some time or another, there's no easy fix, just keep plugging away - sooner or later there'll come a phrase, or a lick, or a riff that'll set you off again....

If it's the latter, try listening to some different music....rock, jazz, blues, soul, whatever - you never know when inspiration will strike!

Good luck,

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@jakejohn001)
Topic starter  

thanks, vic, kevin and coloradofenderbender, the songs and artists that you mentioned will undoubtedly help me with my peril(especially about Zappa, ive read many interviews about how extremely powerful he was with his music) and to vic, its that i cant write anything worth hearing as much as that one song. its as if i want all of my songs to be as powerful as that one song. but anyway its great to get some feedback.

ReplyQuote