Notifications
Clear all

Serious question need opinions.

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@ironfret)
Topic starter  

I've bought the ESP LTD F 10, is this a bad buy for a beginner but plans to use this as his sole guitar?

I've looked at other threads and have been infromed even for the beginner it's a bad buy, but they've used a price that was way more expensive for what I've bought it for. Also can't I just simply change the pickups and strings as well invest in a better amp to make this guitar truly roar? I just want help.

Is a proud Mexican-Texan. -Ironfret

(@alangreen)

Hi, Ironfret, and welcome to Guitarnoise.

When you're an absolute beginner, there is actually very little between guitars - they're all going to make your fingers hurt, they're all complicated to get your head around, you can play individual notes in any number of different places on the fretboard and you wonder if you're ever going to crack it. And then someone tells you about barre chords.

Yes, you can change the strings - and should do regularly. You can change the pickups, although at around £90 each for big name ones like Bare Knuckle you might find that you're spending more on the upgrade than you did on your original kit, in which case you might want to spend the cash on a more upmarket guitar. You can change the setup of your guitar, although as a beginner you should let the shop do it for you. And yes, you can flash the cash on a new amp, and there are plenty of them in your local shop to try out.

At this point in time, it might look like you're going to use it as your sole guitar forever. In a couple of years time, however, you're going to have that much more experience and a different idea of what you want out of a guitar. Then you'll be down the shop trying out lots of different models. We call it GAS - Gear Aquisition Syndrome (or Guitar Acquisition Syndrome).

Whatever you end up playing, it needs to be fun; so sit back, pull up one of David's lessons on this site and start strutting your stuff. There's a lot of expertise here to help you if you get stuck on anything.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Squier '51 is your friend. http://www.musiciansfriend.com is a good place to buy your stuff online too. Free shipping!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Don't change pickups and all that nonsense. If it has six strings on it, tune them all and start practicing. I'm sure it's a nice guitar and you're better of practicing from this day on then thinking about what guitar to buy for another year.

And welcome to GN!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Don't change pickups and all that nonsense. If it has six strings on it, tune them all and start practicing. I'm sure it's a nice guitar and you're better of practicing from this day on then thinking about what guitar to buy for another year.

And welcome to GN!

What he said :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

+1 for what everone said. Don't worry about it until you have mastered the basics on this guitar. Then you can decide if it is THE guitar for you. Just be sure your guitar is properly set up, which will make it MUCH easier to play.

ReplyQuote
(@ironfret)
Topic starter  

Alright, thanks...I know my thing says newbie, also I'm not any kind of good guitarist, but I cna do some amazing things, but I just wanted to hear someone with actual experience to tell me. So yes, I will practice, and get better, then save up once more and buy a better guitar, and what not. Hmm, I'm passed the whole finger issue and everything. I've abused them with my acoustic trying to mimic an electric. I learned the very hardway I suppose I still do it. Also though it's a beginner should I consider investing in the string lube and distortion pedals? I plan to use it for a good while till money comes back up. For I'm saving for another ESP or anything that comes in a reasonable price. Matter of fact I saw this one guitar at my local shop well the town next to me it was limited edition but the brand was something with an N and a U or A and E and R I believe not sure, but it was a limited edition looked nice. Only for 199.99 but, maybe you can tell me which would be a better guitar to buy.

Is a proud Mexican-Texan. -Ironfret

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

The eternal question ofwhich guitar is best. You'll get a gazillion different answers to this one.

Gibson are good - can be expensive. Fenders are good - can be expensive. Gretsch are good - can be expensive. PRS are good - you get the idea. BC Rich scream "metal" and come well recommended. Epiphone are part of Gibson but lower budget. Squire are part of Fender but lower budget. Yamaha are good and reasonably priced. And, the Red Special is marketed by Burns.

There are lots of other makes on the market. Ultimately, I suggest you go down to your local shop aremed with a packed lunch and a thermos and don't leave until you've played every guitar they've got or they've thrown you out.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote