Clear all

About 12 stringed acoustics...

21 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@hyunjae)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

And I'm generally of the opinion you HAVE to pick it up and play it in the store unless you are such a complete newbie that playing it would tell you nothing (ie never played a guitar, maybe just plucked the strings a time or two kind of deals).
I'd do that too... but I AM a complete newbie =x I wouldn't know a good guitar from a bad one. I'm buying this because of it's great reviews and that I needed an acoustic :?

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

So you've made up your mind? Good for you!! I know you'll have fun with it! And, like Demo said, it will open up all kinds of alternate voicings that are just way cool to mess with! It adds a whole new dimension to playing the guitar! Good luck with it and be sure to let us all know how you like it!!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@hyunjae)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well... it arrived and.. I love it... aside the fact that I'm scared to tune it. If I tune it wrong, I might mess up the neck or whatever :(

What should I do?

And I'm too lazy to snap a picture then upload... but it looks exactly like the black on here
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-Herringbone-12String-Acoustic?sku=519267 :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

It won't mess up the neck if you tune it to E standard. You could keep it lower, at D standard tuning. Just be careful when you're tuning those octave strings, and remember that the B and high E strings are tuned in unison, not octave.

Have fun with the guitar though :)

ReplyQuote
(@hyunjae)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the quick reply :o

After I tuned it.. then retuned it... then retuned it... then retuned it... it sounded great! :P

It sounds beautiful really...but I'm going to have to develop a lot more finger strength -_- (any good techniques for helping develop finger strength?)

No more fingerstyling for me for the next few weeks xD

But, the new guitar will never replace Roxanne 8) Speaking of that... what should I name my new guitar? :?

BTW: Now my Roxanne's strings feel like marshmellows now O.o

ReplyQuote
(@shadowraptor)
Trusted Member

I started playing last year using an old Framus 12 string that had been sitting in a closet for the past 30 or so years. I have never used a pick, and my fingerpicking technique was working pretty good on the Framus. In December, I picked up a 6 string acoustic and started playing that one most of the time. The old Framus needs some work and I really wanted to get back to a 12 string, so I bought a Takamine 12 string a few weeks ago. While fingerpicking is harder on the 12 (nails get caught between string pairs!), after playing for awhile, it becomes easier. The real challenge is going to the 12 string after playing a few hours on the 6 string!

Rob

Have a safe and pleasant day.

Rob
Canada

Yamaha FG-730S
Crafter GAE45/N
Beaver Creek BCR8501
Yamaha CG-? (91)
Yamaha CG-171SF
Framus Texan 5/296 12-String
Takamini EG-345C 12-String
Indiana IN-BM5 Mandolin