Notifications
Clear all

Acoustic for around $400

31 Posts
27 Users
0 Likes
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

I've just recently picked up the guitar again after not playing for almost 10 years. I have a 1983 Ibanez Artist which I love and a cheap-o acoustic that I picked up for short money. I'm pretty dissatisfied with the acoustic and so I've decided to spend a few more bucks on a nice(r) one and I'm trying to narrow my choices.

I've read the posts about $400 to $500 guitars and that's pretty much where I'm going to be but I was suprised that there was no mention of the Epiphone Masterbilt series. The difference between the Masterbilt guitars and all of the other brands that I've seen in this price range is that the Masterbilt has solid back and sides instead of just the top. I'm not sure of how big a difference it makes but when you compare this to other manufacturers the price jumps up to at least $700 when you go from just solid top to soild everthing. I've seen this with Taylor, Martin, Alverez and the Godin brands to name a few. I can pick up a DR-500M which is mahogany back and sides at Daddy's for $499 and it comes with a case.

So why doesn't Epiphone get any love?

I've narrowed down the following choices. I think all of these guitars sound and play great. Although my hands are on the small side and the Seagull is slightly less comfortable to play than the others.

Epi Masterbilt 500-DM
Martin DX1
Seagull M6
Simon + Patrick S 6
Alverez - Not sure of the model, there's about a million choices at Daddy's

Also, I like the idea of buying from a mfr in the United States or Canada which is one of the reasons that I'm considering the Martin and the Godin guitars.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3