Clear all

Advice?????

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'm still trying to figure out what would be the most efficient use of my time for practice. I wanna get really good and learn as much as i can. So far i've been practicing about 3 hours a day but i can't find a good routine. I've come up with this:

Warm-up (5 Excercises) 30 min.
Technique 1hr.
Homework from Lesson 30min-1 hr.
Review of Old Songs 10 - 30 min.
Improvisation 1 hr.
Start learning new song 1 hr.
Theory/Ear Training 1 hr.

It seems like there are just too many things to do but it seems like I need all of them. Any Advice on improving it?? Thanks in advance for reading and answering!

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Try either cutting each area down to 25 minutes a day per task or else mix it up to half one day and half the next. Or keep one or two constant and do those every day and alternate the rest.

Unless you have a ton of time on your hands or are extremely motivated, practicing for 6+ hours a day is a lot.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@1st_act)
Estimable Member

Ya I have some advice...

Keep doing what you're doing. I've been playing for about 14 months, and keeping to about 3 hours a day too. One thing I've been thinking about is my mental focus. I almost always practice alone, whith the tv off. If it's on, I make sure it's not on anything I actually might want to see.

The most important thing I think is to absolutely REFUSE to quit, give up or wimp out (unless you're injured or in pain). Keep your mind on your goals.

1st

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I think Chris hit it by either alternating stuff every other day or cutting the time down to put it in that 3 hour window. That's a LONG practice session. My hat's off to you.

How long have you been playing? Why do you want to practice so long or be so good so fast? I'm curious.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

AK -

I don't think your math adds up. You say you practice 3 hours a day, but your schedule is like 5-6 hours! :shock: :shock:

Just teasing. I am impressed with your desire to advance quickly. Just be careful of burnout. I am always amazed at how much musician's are in a hurry to get better. Relax, and remember to enjoy it while you are doing it. Music should always be a joy, not work.

I would say your schedule isn't bad. But, be flexible. You don't have to get everything in each day. If you are making good progess learning a new song, keep at it and let something on your schedule slide until the next day.

Good Luck!

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I've only been playing a year and a half, but when I first started playing I did something similar to this schedule and improved quickly. I was thinking of splitting it all up but maybe cutting some of it down might be better. I play mostly blues, and blues rock so i've lately just been learning some songs and haven't done this type of practice session. I wanted to start getting better quicker so i thought a hardcore session might do that.

ReplyQuote