Clear all

Air travel

18 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have a Rimowa case (you know the aluminium things) - that and fragile stickers are like red rags to a bull (I know - they're colour blind). I have a couple of bags with "heavy" stickers on them - the handlers don't even try to throw those around!

If you have any doubts about a case, ask your insurance company (you do have guitar insurance, don't you?). Generally, damaged baggage is replaced - or repaired - by the airline, if the bag was suited to it's purpose (forget checking a €10 gig bag with a custom PRS in it). You must, however, report any damage, before you leave arrivals (going back to an airport 3 days after arriving and saying your bag is knacked is unlikely to get a sympathetic response). So, check your luggage as soon as you take it from the carousel.

One other point - make sure that you have either distinctive address tags or some luggage stickers attached, anything to make your case "unique". It stops mistakes occurring. Someone, recently, walked off with my case. His was similar, but he'd not even bothered to look at the case - mine had a big silver Lufthansa Frequent Traveller address tag and a big orange "Waiting List" band on it and his had no tags at all.

I hope it was an upgrade :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

My "relatively" inexpensive solution for air travel:

Squier '51 electric - $99.00
Little Smokey amp - $24.00 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Smokey-Mini-Amp?sku=483005
M/F Metal Flight Case - $69.99 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Friend-Electric-Guitar-Metal-Flight-Case?sku=541696

Add a cheap set of radio headphones and I can sit in my hotel room and unwind after a tough day for less than a $200 investment.

/Dwayne

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I have a Rimowa case (you know the aluminium things) - that and fragile stickers are like red rags to a bull (I know - they're colour blind). I have a couple of bags with "heavy" stickers on them - the handlers don't even try to throw those around!

If you have any doubts about a case, ask your insurance company (you do have guitar insurance, don't you?). Generally, damaged baggage is replaced - or repaired - by the airline, if the bag was suited to it's purpose (forget checking a €10 gig bag with a custom PRS in it). You must, however, report any damage, before you leave arrivals (going back to an airport 3 days after arriving and saying your bag is knacked is unlikely to get a sympathetic response). So, check your luggage as soon as you take it from the carousel.

One other point - make sure that you have either distinctive address tags or some luggage stickers attached, anything to make your case "unique". It stops mistakes occurring. Someone, recently, walked off with my case. His was similar, but he'd not even bothered to look at the case - mine had a big silver Lufthansa Frequent Traveller address tag and a big orange "Waiting List" band on it and his had no tags at all.

I hope it was an upgrade :wink:
Unfortunately, no. :cry:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2