Notifications
Clear all

An absolutely noobish question....

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@shine-eyed)
Topic starter  

I've seriously been thinking about picking up the guitar and learning to play, as music is abslutely essential to my being. I'm very interested in playing the electric guitar and aspire to be in a band at some point.

My question is this: should I learn to play accoustic first and then move onto electric, or just jump right in?

Any tips you've got for someone in my position would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

(@strife)
Eminent Member

either one is good to start with. It depends on what kind af music you like. I started wit h an acoustic becuase i knew that if i could play that and have funs with it i would have no problem with getting an electric because there are a bunch more cool thing you can do with it. Know im no expert but i dont really think it matter which one you start on becuase they both have thier advantages, but if i were to start over again i would start with an acoustic

EDIT: dont forget to look down the board becuase this question coem up alot and there are soem useful andswers in those posts too =)

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

All I can say is, I started with a crappy $50 Santa Rosa acoustic. I have relished every day since I moved up to my Epi Les Paul. Make an investment, pick up a decent starter anything or a good used guitar.

Don't pick a cheapass guitar unless you have no other option - it will test your patience and piss you off to no end until you get a good one, but it'll make you relish the good one that much more! (that said, there are some good affordable guitars - Squier makes good guitars for a very low price, and their starter pack is very good for the money, and starts you off with everything you need at the beginning)

Also, welcome to the site, and don't forget to bring the (guitar)Noise!

-Rodya

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member

Acoustic are alway better to start on. So buy any acoustic; play it for a while and them get an electric. Acoustis and electric are both equaly fun to play.

"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

First off, welcome to the site !

Secondly

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=13126

^all about electric versus acoustic.

As you can see there, I say go with what you want to play.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote