Clear all

Another newby question

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@70chevelle)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I would like to layout what my gameplan is for learning, and get some critiques. I took piano lessons when I was a kid, now 39. I can read music fairly well, and have been using the Mel Bay lesson 1 book to familiarize myself with the guitar and music. I have found myself having more drive and paitence, the older I get. I really don't mind playing amazing grace, or michael row the boat a shore, if I'm able to read the music and play the notes on the guitar. So, my plan:

1) Learn the notes on the strings/frets
2) Learn to associate them to written music
3) Work on my dexterity by playing the notes/scales
4) Continue through the Mel Bay book until proficient
- Currently warming up on a selection that hits every note on the first 4 frets
5) Learn chords (I've done much research on how scales & chords are related, a little confused on the different scales, but I'm sure it will come) I understand that a major chord is the 1/3/5 notes of the scale. The minor is 1/3b/5 notes of the scale, and the 7th is the 1/3/5/7. Scale 1,1,1/2,1,1,1,1/2,1.
6) Learn all the notes on the fret board and associate to written music.

Somewhere when the frustration gets to be too much, take a lesson.

I've printed out a lot of the beginners tabs, but don't feel I'm ready with my dexterity to put a lot of time in on learning them. My goals are to be able to play songs but still have the ability to get learn & play a song from sheet music or tabs. I enjoy Fleetwood Mac, Neil Young, Doors, CSNY, America, James Taylor, etc. So far, 2 weeks, its been pretty fun, and I can play a few tunes by ear, after picking some notes. I can also play a few very simple tabs. I have printed off a ring binder of information from this sight & others on chords, beginnning lessons, and tabs, but I'm currently focussing on the Mel Bay book, and then I'll pick the next step. My current guitar is a Yamaha F325. Thanks, and great site!

(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I would suggest moving chords a few steps up and using those chords as a way to practice strumming and rhythm.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Welcome to guitarnoise!

Clear goals alone are 1/2 the battle - you have that cased.

The only things you left out were actually playing and tecnique.

Take all opportunites to play with other players and tackle one of the begginner lessons here. You will find you learn a great deal going through Davids lessons.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Nice handle there 70chevelle, I had one of those a while back.

TAKE LESSONS!!!

ReplyQuote
(@70chevelle)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Lessons are going to be a luxury. Time constraints of work, kids, wife & other hobbies make it tough. Being able to practice/play for an hour or so while relaxing before bed is great. When I get stuck, I'll seek a few lessons. I guess that may be sooner than later. My thoughts of concentrating on the notes - reading & playing - prior to jumping into chords etc.. Should I be doing at the same time? I don't want to only be able to play intro's to songs, I want to take the time to play the whole song. I feel confident that if I took an easy tab, and spent all my time learning it instead of practicing, I could figure it out. But, that won't help me on the next one. Anyway, I have most (all?) of the beginner lessons printed out and in my binder, but I want to get through the Bay book before I go to the next instruction. I am also considering the emedia guitar method 1. I read the review on this site, and it seems to be pretty good for the beginner. But, not before I finish the first book.

Sin City Sid - If I had any pics posted on the net, I would have posted a pic of mine :D I've had it for 11+ years, and is my dream car. I did a frame off. Not restoration, because I added a few of my own custom touches. Cars are one of those other pesky hobbies that keep me busy.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

You overall grand plan sounds pretty good. I would recommend two things.

1) Get into chords earlier since you can and will learn more about notes that way. I don't me just learn how to fret them I mean understand the notes that form them as well.

2) Move the teacher option up the chain well before you get frustrated. Then it may be too late and you could lose interest.

Welcome to GN

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

sounds like moving the teacher and learning chords up is a good idea.
welcome to GN

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

2) Move the teacher option up the chain well before you get frustrated. Then it may be too late and you could lose interest.

Nothing harder for a teacher then to unlearn bad habits, trust me my teacher hates me at time :oops:

ReplyQuote