Skip to content
anybody here play &...

Notifications
Clear all

anybody here play "stuck in the middle with you"?

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

this is a song we have played for some time, but i have been asked to review my guitar part on it by the lads in the band, (that basically means, i play it badly and they want me to play it better :lol: :lol: )

anyway, try as i might i just cannot find a tab or youtube lesson on how to play this song properly. there are hundreds of tabs giving just the chords, and video lessons giving the strumming patterns, but i just cant find anything for the solo or the fills which are done throughout most of the song. i think they are played on a slide guitar, but im not sure.

One of my biggest failings is having the ear training of a deaf milk bottle, and although i have tried i cannot seem to figure out how to get the "feel" of those riffs and fills. They dont sound difficult to play, and thats the frustrating part - it makes me feel like a guitar player and NOT AT ALL a musician because i just cant figure out what to do, even though i know technically it should be easy to play.

anyway, if anybody does play this, could you please just give me a tip on the scales etc that that the fills and solo are based on so i can at least have a stab at comming up with something of my own, or even better, if you know of a tab out there somewhere which has this info on could you please let me know where it can be found?

i will be very grateful.

oh, and i havde been asked to "review" a lot of my guitar parts lately, i think the lads are trying to tell me something :lol:
thanks. AL

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I have a Guitar Pro file with 4 guitar parts transcribed, Al. The tuning are odd though: 2 in Drop D and 2 tuned 2 steps down across the board. The lead one is slide (Drop D) as you guessed.
PM me your e-mail if you'd like it.
If you don't have Guitar Pro d/l tuxguitar, it's free and can read GP files.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

that would be great! thanks very much.

i will send a pm right now. if it doesnt arrive just post here telling me and ill send another.

thanks very much.

Al

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

You're welcome. It's on its way.
I've never played the song, so I have no idea how accurate it is, but hopefully it'll help.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Got it!
just listening to it now - just what im after!!

great stuff!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The slide part is played in Open D. (Low to high, DADF#AD)

I think there's a lesson or an Easy Songs file on this site somewhere.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

The slide part is played in Open D. (Low to high, DADF#AD)

I think there's a lesson or an Easy Songs file on this site somewhere.

I haven't played it yet, but it's on "The List". I have a very simple copy of a chord sheet probably from UG. Vic's is mad complicated compared to that, yet the chords in the verses and chorus are identical. Though my chord sheet says nothing about alternate tuning. This one will be a challenge, I do believe. :!:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I found it fairly easy to get the rhythm part down in open D - that's the way a friend showed me how to do it, and that's the way I tabbed it out in easy songs. The fills are pretty easy, even with a slide on my ring finger, as all the chords only use one or two fingers. (And - I've just posted an easy fix for the tricky Am7 chord in the chorus!)

Most of those fills are done around the 12th fret (D chords) 5th fret (G chords) and 7th fret (A chords.)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Oh Vic, I wasn't criticizing it! The only alt. tuning I've ever done is drop D and 1/2 step down. So the chord formations are unfamiliar, coupled with the strumming pattern, which is not what I expected, though I knew there were mutes. Whenever possible I lift my fretting fingers to dampen the strings. I'm doing that in working on Bad Boys, the Bob Marley and then covered by Inner Circle reggae tune. Actually that's the only real way to do reggae afaik.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Open D is probably the most popular tuning for 6-string lap steels, and it wouldn't surprise me if the slide part was done on a lap steel on the recording. It's a dandy bottleneck slide tuning as well.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@meatntata)

Got it!
just listening to it now - just what im after!!

great stuff!
Al looks like you got what you wanted and looks like it's what I want; could you forward to me please

ReplyQuote
(@werner)

Hi There,

I'm struggling with this song.. Could anyone please send me also the GP files mentioned earlier....? :(

[email protected]

Thanx!!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hi There,

I'm struggling with this song.. Could anyone please send me also the GP files mentioned earlier....? :(

[email protected]

Thanx!!

Welcome to the party, Werner.

You might find the GP files at any one of the Tab sites that are still doing a thriving business. When I want something for nothing, I tend to start with guitaretab.com or UltimateGuitar.com

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote