Notifications
Clear all

Bach - too much for a beginner?

15 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@chiba)
Topic starter  

Hi. I've been playing for only a few months now, and learning without a teacher (I'm in Japan, and finding an English speaking teacher hasn't worked out so far). Although I enjoy modern music, I'm more and more drawn to Baroque. I've found a few pieces that don't look technically difficult, but who am I to judge? Can anyone give me their opinion of this Bach piece?

http://sologuitarist.net/Bach_Minuet.html

Too hard for a beginner? I can play it, but very very slowly, and I'm wondering if at my level it's worth trying to get up to speed, or whether I should look at something else. I'm playing my scales and learning chords too, but I'd really like to play this piece! Someday maybe?

(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

play it slow every day and in a few more weeks you'll have it in the bag......slowly slowly catchy monkey :lol:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I agree. This piece isn't too difficult. The first section is often found arranged as a beginner's classical piece

The second section is a bit more difficult but not too much. And don't forget, that this is a transcription that someone has made from the original keyboard version - so you're at liberty to make any modifications that make it easier to play (within reason).

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'd say put a little work in on the Bach piece every day and keep practising chords and scales - sounds obvious really, but all I'm really saying is don't neglect your development in all areas for one piece of music. Unlike many beginners, you at least have a fairly clear idea of your goal!

Good luck....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Or use those skills. You can play full chords on each beat, with the top note being the melody-note in the tab: G-G-C-Em/B-Am-F#m/5b|G-D5 (I guess, looking at it)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

The only two real issues with that piece are the use of the higher positions - as you get into the B section you'll notice that you're required to play at the 5th position using your pinky on the 8th fret to maintain the flow; and the use of the rake with your thumb (the wavy line next to some of the chords) which means you need a pretty nifty technique to get your fingers back in place to play the next few notes in time each time.

Other than that, it's not an excessively complicated piece, and I've performed it live on any number of occasions because it's immediately recognisable. As the others have said, take it slowly and make sure you're properly warmed up before playing.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I'd also suggest that you change measure 18 back to what Bach intended. The bass note is shown as C# on string 5 fret 4. Make it F# on string 4 fret 4. This is meant to be a descending sequence on root position chords: G, F#m, Em, with the bass moving nicely by step. Instead, you've got G moving to C#, (the Devil's interval). If you play the bass notes by themselves you can hear how ugly that sounds.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

It was the first classical piece I learnt on piano. The first part, I don't remember the second one. I used to play this minuet (BWV 114) and the next one (BWV 115) together.

For piano is easy, my teacher said it is a common piece in the first courses at conservatory.

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Great piece,

No, not too difficult, a great way to improve your accuracy and timing, some of the stretches can be a little daunting but with practice it will come. I forgot how much fun Bach can be. Get this down and it will pay huge dividends in other aspects of your playing. This is a pretty good arrangement, nice and clear, and sounds nice. I think you picked a winner.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

I think you will be able to play this soon, if you just keep practising. If you can play it slow, then the only thing left is more practising.

I think that Bach pieces are great for learnig technique because they're not written for guitar. I'm trying to learn a partita for violin on guitar and it's a lot of wide strecthes and string skipping. The hardest part is memorizing all the notes though :lol: .

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@chiba)
Topic starter  

Firstly, thanks to everyone for the very constructive replies - much appreciated.

I'm sticking at it, because it's starting to sound like music now. I'm getting a little smoother and faster but fingers... won't... move... like... that.

This is a really dumb question :oops: - when I pluck(?) a string, and then move my fingers to play the next note(s), the first string still rings and buzzes or whatever when I move my fingers. Kind of hard to explain. Is this another "keep practising" thing that eventually come right? I really need a teacher! In lieu of that, I bought the Berklee "Modern Method" book that comes with a DVD. Hope it helps!

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Berklee's book is a must !!...stick to it!..

and speaking about english spoken teachers in Japan, why don't you contact Berklee's japanese teacher Tomo Fujita? he's an excellent guy who really plays that good..and I think he could give you some contacts in Japan,since he is really a well known instructor in Japan and Berklee as well.

here's his link. good luck!

http://www.tomofujita.com/

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

I came across this classical guitar site with free video lessons, it's excellent! check it out, I'm sure you'll find it very helpful:

http://www.mangore.com/guitar_masterclasses.html (It was listed on the homepage of GN); I'm on dial up with Windows XP and the video clips downloaded very fast, and the sheet music is there also - it seemed like heaven to me!

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

That Bach piece isn't too difficult. As Fretsource mentioned, it turns up in a variety of arrangements in quite a few early learning books.

This one is a bit trickier though...
8) 8)

Adam Fulara playing Bach

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member

I've been playing for around 10 months and I just tried to play that for the first time. It's pretty easy, it shouldn't take you too long to pick it up. Playing the notes is no problem for me, the part that would take the longest is memorizing the song.

ReplyQuote