Topic starter  

When playing power chords with a full barre like:

D|----------------------------------------
A|----------------------------------------
F|----------------------------------------
C|-3--3--4--4--0--1----3--3--3--4--4--0--1
G|-3--3--4--4--0--1----3--3--3--4--4--0--1
C|-3--3--4--4--0--1----3--3--3--4--4--0--1

Is it best to use all of your fingers? For example. the index finger barring the first fret, ring on the 3rd and pinky on the 4th. Or is it best to use one finger but move up and down the neck? Or does it matter?

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Seeing that you are staying in the first position and aren't doing anything fancy, I would use the index for all of them.

I say "nothing fancy" because if you aren't using other fingers individually, why not use that index and build those calluses more. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I would use the index finger going to the middle finger for the chords at the 3rd and 4th frets, then shift down and just use my index when going from the open chord to the chord at the 1st fret.

Now, that is just me, but I know that would be the EASY way for me to play it. I can use my pinky easily, but still, it is not near as strong or quick as my index and middle fingers. One of the secrets of guitar is to make it as simple and easy as possible for yourself. This means you might play a riff differently than someone else. But that is not important. How well you play a riff is important, so do whatever it takes to make it easy and comfortable for yourself.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I agree Wes (and I should of elaborated more), but from a beginners stand point. I think using the index as the barre through out the first position will help develop the calluses (on the index) that are needed as a beginner with barre chords in the future.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Mike

I wasn't trying to contradict you at all. I was just saying how I would do it, but everybody is different, so some might want to play it with the index only, and some may even prefer to use their ring and pinky on the 3rd and 4th frets and index at the first. I had a friend who was a great guitarist. I was always astounded at his strength. He would hold an A type barre chord with his pinky, never used his ring finger. For him that was easy.

I know another guitarist who frets an E chord and A minor like this:

E Am

e--0-------0--
b--0-------1i-
g--1i------2m-
d--2m------2r-
a--2r------0--
e--0-------0--

This would be completely wrong for me. But this is a big, stocky guy with very large and thick fingers, it works for him. And he is a very good guitarist.

So, I was just trying to tell One Winged Angel to play it the easiest and most comfortable way for herself.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well I don't have large thick fingers, I have skinny fingers, so I'll stick to using my index finger like I have been doing...........probably why I found barre chords so easy.

Thank you for your help.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I would practice using all your fingers it my seem hard now but in the long run you'll realize why I'm saying this. I play different than most I use what ever fingering I need to create the sound I need and have control over. There is no right and wrong way when it comes to moving beyond to the next level.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

What's the advantage to using all my fingers? Sorry, I can't just do something that's harder on me for no reason. The only advantage I can think of is not having to move up and down the neck as much.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I agree with everyone on using the fingers that are the most reasonable for the task at hand. I do it all the time.

OWA, The advantage is the added fluidity of motion you will gain rather than jerking around all over the fretboard because you only know how to use 2 or 3 fingers out of the five you have to fret any said chord.

I was just stating that it could be helpful for you now (seeing that you are in a position to strengthen your index) to fret it with your index and try to get the most out of it.

I'm not arguing with anyone by any means.

Mike

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

What's the advantage to using all my fingers? Sorry, I can't just do something that's harder on me for no reason. The only advantage I can think of is not having to move up and down the neck as much.

Speed is one advantage because you are not having to move one finger everywhere. The other advantage is you get a lot less string noise since you are not sliding one finger all over the place.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Another advantage is you can get different sounds by using all your fingers. As an example, try using just your index finger to barre and slide between the first and third fret. Then try keeping the first fret barred with your index finger and slap your ring finger down sharply on the third fret, this gives you a very percussive sound.

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

My favorite guitarist, a guy named Django Reinhardt, could only use his first and second finger, because the rest of his hand was burned badly in a fire when he was 18 (by which time, he was already internationally known for his skill on the 6-string banjo).

Now, Django has plenty of riffs that are playable using only 2 fingers (there are a few of his solos that no one knows how he played them, they seem to be physically impossible, but that's why the guy was a genius). But very very few guitarists play them that way, because most guitarists have more than 2 working fingers.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well I've noticed that which technique is used various from guitarist to guitarist...........as well as from song to song. One guitarist stayed at the open postion using all fingers, with the exception of her pinky. In another song, she's using her index finger but sliding up and down the neck. Another guitarist used two fingers (standard tuning I think) and slid up and down the neck. Maybe I should do whatever most comfortable at the time.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Well I've noticed that which technique is used various from guitarist to guitarist...........as well as from song to song. One guitarist stayed at the open postion using all fingers, with the exception of her pinky. In another song, she's using her index finger but sliding up and down the neck. Another guitarist used two fingers (standard tuning I think) and slid up and down the neck. Maybe I should do whatever most comfortable at the time.

Since you're admittedly somethnig of a beginner, no. You should do what is most helpful in reaching your desired goals (at least for practicing). When noodling around or playing a show it's ok to do what is easiest to achieve the desired sound, but when practicing the point is to get better. You don't get better by doing what is easiest and least challenging.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

So does using all my fingers train me for something I'll be doing in the future? That's the main reason I asked the question in my original post.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2