Notifications
Clear all

Barring Power Chords

21 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

So does using all my fingers train me for something I'll be doing in the future? That's the main reason I asked the question in my original post.

that question answers itself. imo if you don't learn to use all of your fingers, you won't be playing anything in the future that requires all of them, eh?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I knew that. Sorry if my question is kind of confusing. I mean, I can play barre chords, barre with the index use the other fingers for the rest of the notes, but that's with my index finger and play it cleanly. I even use my pinky to partially barre power chords in standard tuning.

Guess what I'm trying to ask is not, should I be using all my fingers? Because that's obvious that yes I should use all my fingers. I should be asking, should I be able to barre with all my fingers? Will I ever be in a situation where I can't use my index finger or ring finger for barring?

I was also wondering if I would have to full barre with two fingers at the same time, but kinda figured that wouldn't do much.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i barre with 2 fingers at the same time when useing the A shape, some find it easier to use all 4 fingers but i just learned it that way and it stuck. is that what you mean?

more to your point, sometimes i use my index and middle finger other times i use my index and pinky

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i barre with 2 fingers at the same time when useing the A shape, some find it easier to use all 4 fingers but i just learned it that way and it stuck. is that what you mean?

more to your point, sometimes i use my index and middle finger other times i use my index and pinky

I mean barring with say your index and ring but moving along the neck as opposed to using all of your fingers but keeping your hand still. I've found they both produce the same results. The general concensus seems to be that it really doesn't matter.

I've seen people use two fingers to barre as you've mentioned.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

There are plenty of chords that require you to barre with other fingers.

There are chords that require you to fret notes on two different frets with the same finger.

Being able to do those things makes using those chords possible.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I think I'll just wing it, do whatever easiest for doing what I'm trying to do. I doubt I'll be playing chords than I need to barre across frets for. And if I am, I'll choose another voicing.

Thank you for your help everyone. The contrasting answers help make more educated decisions.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2