Notifications
Clear all

Bass newbie left hand question

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@floydfan)
Topic starter  

I took a few lessons and had to quit due to money reasons. Sorry for such a rudimentary question but here goes.

Say i need to fret the 3rd fret on the E string followed by the 5th fret then back to the 3rd.

Do I move my whole hand up the neck after the 3rd to fret the 5th fret with my pointer finger then move my hand back and fret the 3rd with my usual ring finger?

Or do i slide my pinkie up past the 4th fret to the 5th then hit the 3rd again with my ring finger?

Hope my terminology's clear. I was working on some exercises from a book and came to a page where i had to do this and got confused. Seems to me moving the whole hand up then back is stupid.

(@floydfan)
Topic starter  

guess this is a closed community my bad. Question isn't cool enough i suppose

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

guess this is a closed community my bad. Question isn't cool enough i suppose

You might want to be a bit more patient, rather than writing us off after less than 1 hour.
Many people only log in once a day. Some only a couple of times a week.

Also, Guitarnoise has a Bass forum here, where you will find more bass players, who can probably give more detailed answers than us 6-stringers. (I'm not trying to chase you away, just to help you get a good answer)

Now, to your question.
Say i need to fret the 3rd fret on the E string followed by the 5th fret then back to the 3rd.
I'm not a bass player, but I would try to leave my index (pointer) finger on the 3rd fret (G note), and grab the 5th fret (A note) with my 3rd (ring) finger. If that's too much of a stretch, then the pinky would do nicely.
After playing the A, I'd lift that finger and play the G that is waiting there still fretted.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote