Notifications
Clear all

Beginner Chords Changes

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@tentex25)
Topic starter  

I just recently began guitar lessons. I have only had two as a matter of fact. My work for the last two weeks has been the following chord changes...
D, Cadd9,G(+pinky on 1st string 3rd fret), then back to D. Are these rather hard chord changes for a beginner? I am havign trouble with them. I am getting frustrated the time it is taking to build speed while properly changing my fingers.

(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Just fingering a chord properly is hard for a beginner, and you want to be able to change smoothly as well? MADNESS.

The biggest thing is to practice doing it right, even if that means doing it slow. Just repeating a step smoothly and slowly (don't even bother to strum or just strum once to make sure it sounds right). The most important thing is to practice slow and make sure you do it right, you will automatically speed up and retain the accuracy.

Whenever possible look for ways to keep at least a finger on the strings. For example if you are going from D to Cadd9 (or Cadd9 to D) you can keep your ring finger in the same place.

Sometimes even though all the fingers move, a finger can remain on the same string, such as from D to an A chord, I'll keep my ring finger touching the b string but slide up a fret while moving the other fingers. This is just something I do that helps me to keep my place on the guitar easier.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I just recently began guitar lessons. I have only had two as a matter of fact. My work for the last two weeks has been the following chord changes...
D, Cadd9,G(+pinky on 1st string 3rd fret), then back to D. Are these rather hard chord changes for a beginner? I am havign trouble with them. I am getting frustrated the time it is taking to build speed while properly changing my fingers.

Hi, tentex.
Trickier changes than some for sure, but it looks like a good exercise. Is the G you're playing the one where you also finger the 3rd fret second string?
I think your instructor chose these 3 because they allow you to anchor your ring finger and then swivel around with the other fingers. See how your middle finger goes from fretting the lowest note in the chord to the highest note in the D? That sort of movement is what they're trying to drum into you. :wink: It'll take time, but it's definitely worth the effort!
Good luck!
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'm thinking your instructor chose those three because you'll be working on "Sweet Home Alabama"

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I'm thinking your instructor chose those three because you'll be working on "Sweet Home Alabama"
LOL! I'll bet Noteboat is right.
I played them again and that's a whole lot of jumping around for someone 2 lessons in...must be some good reason for it.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member

Changing from D or G to C is a pretty hard chord change to get down. I don't know what it is, but those chord changes give man beginners fits. Don't worry, just relax and keep practicing them, before you know it you will have it down. Try not to let yourself get frustrated about it, because that will hinder your progress. Just take it slow, and pay close attention to your fingers as you change chords. Do it slowly and make sure all your fingers move at the same time

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

The important thing is to do it right, make sure whatever strings should be sounding are in fact sounding and aren't being muted by accident. Do it as slow as necessary to get it right, speed will come later.

ReplyQuote