Clear all

"Beginner" scales?

14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@geonjules)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I started two months ago working on the basic chords. I started to work on my first scale a few days ago, minor pentatonic (key of A?) starts with top string, 5th fret. It seems like one of the easier scales to memorize and I love the blues.
Are there any more "starter scales", meaning ones that are used the most, and not too hard to memorize.
Also any tips on picking? I'm doin pretty good with the chords and strumming, but this pickin stuff is a completly different animal. I do alright picking some notes out staying on the same string or two (kinda like the horizontal system). But when I go "vertical", starts the problems. Alot of times just doing the scales, picking hand gets ahead of my fretting hand. And if I try to pick something where you have to skip strings, it gets real ugly!

" Thoughts that pay homage to frustration will attract frustration. When you say or think theres nothing I can do,my life has spun out of control,and I'm trapped,thats what you will attract ".

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

1. Do you know all 5 positions of the minor pentatonic scale? If you Google it, you will find them. Sounds like you know the most popular position already.
2. If you move the positions up and down the fretboard, you can change the key. For example, move the position you know 2 frets down (towrd the nut), and you now have the G minor pentatonic scale.
3. You could check out the major pentatonic scale after you get the minor down.
4. Then you can add the "blues note" to the minor pentatonic scale.
5. And on and on, etc. :wink:

That should keep you busy awhile! If you are at all interested in the blues, check out the book called Blues You Can Use, which covers all of this much better than I could! The book, with CD included, has been well reviewed by several on this site.

Good luck

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

cyberfret has the five positions in diagrams. i'm learning the pentatonic scale horizontally on each string because it seems easier than memorizing each position and tieing it all together.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I have a flash tool on my website to help learn the pentatonics, http://chordsandscales.co.uk/tools/pentatonic_scale_tool.html .

It shows you the whole pattern or any of the positions, and as you can see, major and minor pentatonics can be thought of as the same shape, just using a different note as your root. For example, the notes in A minor pentatonic are the same notes in C major pentatonic. Hope you find it useful :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

hey brotha try this site. It has great interface.

http://www.chordbook.com/guitarscales.php

KK

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

you might also try looking at a major scale pattern. it's not too hard to memorize and pretty important to know.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I second pearlthekat's suggestion - learn the major scale, inside out, back to front, up and down the neck.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I second the recommendation on Blues You Can Use by John Ganapes.

Here's an earlier discussion of it:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28444

BYCU breaks down the pentatonic patterns into digestible chunks for memorization. The format in which it is presented works for me.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Weird as it might sound: I suggest you don't learn anything new at all. The first box of the minor pentatonic scale should provide enough material to keep you occupied for a couple of months. Learning more scales is pointless if you don't learn how to get the most out of them. Get some backing tracks in different styles (pop, rock, blues, funk, reggae) and start putting that one little scale to good use.

ReplyQuote
(@hanzo)
Trusted Member

hey brotha try this site. It has great interface.

http://www.chordbook.com/guitarscales.php

KK

That's great. Thnx for posting.

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I'd be inclined to agree with Sleutelbos. Learning the patterns is one thing, putting them to good use is another. Get hold of backing tracks in different keys and improvise and solo over them. When you are comfortable using the first position introduce the second position. Eventually you will be able to improvise comfortably to any style in any key using all positions.

Once you are comfortable with the minor pentatonic then move on to the major pentatonic and repeat the process.

HTH

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Good links, guys. Thank you!!! 8)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@geonjules)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

You made a good point Sleutelbos. Just starting, and being 44 years old, I think i'm trying to cram to make up for time.

" Thoughts that pay homage to frustration will attract frustration. When you say or think theres nothing I can do,my life has spun out of control,and I'm trapped,thats what you will attract ".

ReplyQuote
(@geonjules)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I forgot....The backtrax do make practice fun as hell. Here's a good free site for backtracks. A few even have the vocals. http://www.guitarbt.com/index.php
Have fun.

ReplyQuote