Leads .....

15 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Mic Leads , guitar Leads

You know those cable things that go to your amp ?????

How long should they last ?

What is a good brand ?

How come mine get faulty after about 6 months ?

I un plug everything hang my leads up , I look after my gear but I am getting :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: in buying them every 6 months or so ...

Any help would be appreciated

Trevor

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Usually it's the plugs or the connection to the plugs that go bad. If you're winding your leads and cables properly then most likely it's not the cable wire that's going bad.

You could always start trimming the cable back a bit and resoldering the jacks.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Depends on how much (and how hard) you use them. I must be kind to my cables because they seem to last for years. BUT, I usually use them in my home studio. I have friends that play out and can go through cables like they are eating them! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Don't know what to tell you Trevor, I bought 3 super-cheap guitar cords from MF about 3 years ago and they all still work fine. I use these cords every single day. And I am not overly careful, but I do make sure to pull on the jacket when I pull a cord out and not the cord itself. I think this is the most important thing you can do.

Try not to step on them as well. :D

I did order some cords from MF last week and am surprised at the high quality:

AP Audio Fat Jacks Instrument Cable

I was amazed when these cords came. They have very thick insulation and the jacket is extra heavy wrapped as well. This is a thick cord, not thin at all. Just got 'em, but they should last a long time. And the price was great. I got 12' cords.

The length is according to use. I usually order some long cables (25') to run from my pedalboard to amp for gig use, but I like a short cord from guitar to pedalboard. Long cables get tangled easy.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'm a miser - I make my own cables. If something goes wrong, I know how to fix it.

Old and broken cables shouldn't be thrown away. Buy some jack plugs and cut them down to 6", 8" or 10" to use to connect effects pedals or 3-4ft for use with a mixer / studio gear. Weeding out the duff bit is quite easy.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I like "Planet Waves" cables - shielded end, heavy sturdy cables, and guaranteed for life....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I purchased some cheapies just before Christmas so I could keep playing they cost me $ 20 Australian thats' cheap trust me , but I was spending up to $75 per lead and they were not lasting at all ..

I have decided to purchase 2 leads for everything Guitar , Mic

one set for me and the other set for a certain teenager who calls me dad ... I think I might have found out today why they are getting damaged ....

I came home from work early and all the leads were scattered on the floor some under chair legs ...

grrrrr not a happy little camper here , I'll go and check out the brands Wes and Vic mentioned ..

Cheapies for son , decent ones for me { not that a decent lead will help my playing }

Thanks guys for your help

Trevor

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

What about your sockets Trev?

I've not had any problems with leads yet, but I've had a heap of trouble with the socket on one guitar. The cable just isn't a snug fit, and I get problems with buzzing and crackling. Taking it apart and bending the contact inwards helps for a while, but not too long. I guess I need to fit a new socket?!

Anyway - maybe that's contributing too. Are your cables fitting nice and snugly in the sockets - or is the problem definitely just with the cable itself?

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Good point Chris_C

I 'll take my guitar over to a friends house and use his leads see if that has any inpact ...

My Mic lead also suffers the same plight but I have noticed it becomes a little loose at the the mic end ..Bought a new mic and lead ( shhh don't tell the wife )

mic cost $ 190.00 Australian (shhhhhh)

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

has anyone tried spectraflex cables? i was pro monster until a freind of mine turned me on to them, great cable 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I have not had a monster go bad on me yet.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I used to help out at a PA rental shop, and I don't remember cables lasting less than several years (unless you count ones that came back from a rental in several pieces).

I had maybe one a month that I had to repair. Usually all it took was chopping a couple of inches off one end, and re-soldering the connector.

The cables I made for my own use at the radio station I worked at lasted my entire 8 years there, doing weekly field recordings.
The only cables I had chronic trouble with were the ones assigned to the sports reporters. Somehow, after a few weeks, their mic cables looked like they had been using them to tow vehicles out of the bush.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Right now I'm using a Rapco guitar cable I bought at Wal Mart a year ago for $10. :lol: It is made in USA though. I look more at the wire guage than the brand name. The lower the number guage the thicker the wire inside. At this time I don't play out much. I think coiling and uncoiling cables for transport shortens their life expectancy quite a bit. I got some cheapie Musicians Friend mic cables that seem sturdier than the Shure mic cables I paid big $ for at the local music store. Go figure?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

I really like the monster cables, great company too btw. Either go with something really cheap, like the MF cables or one that comes with a good warranty, monster's is a lifetime guarantee.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Yes, I started using Monster, too.

Rocker, stop that. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote