Skip to content
Whats a good pick f...

Notifications
Clear all

Whats a good pick for a David Gilmour/Jimi Hendrixish sound?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

See topic.

I'm gonna try out a whole bunch, but I'd appreciate if you could tell me the size or brand that you think would be good.

Thanks.

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

A thick pick. Thinner picks make for easier strummings but you don't get the sound of a thick pick, whereas you can get the sounds of a thin pick with a thick one. Besides, it really doesn't matter that much. Pick one you are comfortable with and focus on your technique.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I've read that Gilmour uses Herco Flex 75 Nylon picks (heavy).

Hendrix - quote from GP magazine "For picks, Hendrix chose whatever medium gauge his hand came up with when he stuck it into the drawer at Manny's. "

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Try using the side of the pick instead of the pointed edge, you'll get a fuller plush sound:

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Don't forget that, in the 60's and 70's there were other materials in use, for picks. Many were made of celluloid or real tortoiseshell - things that you simply can't get hold of any more.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Plus the shapes were pretty much the 'normal' 351 type - the standard Fender pick. Some guys used the smaller Fender 'jazz' shape, guys like Santana used the 'Big Triangle' Fender.

Which sort of leads me to think that the sounds that were achieved had very little to do with what brand, material, shape and thickness of plectrum that was used. If these guys were stranded on a desert island with just Fender thins, they'd get used to it. Same with mediums or hards, or whatever shape. I personally still experiment with different picks, but after half an hour or so the novelty of it wears off and I get used to it just as I would any pick.

--Except for that Dunlop 'sharkfin' which I don't know why they even made it, lol.

Sometimes when playing live there's more adrenalin so a person tends to play harder - then a medium pick might do. At home, relaxed, maybe a hard/firm pick.

But the two guitarists mentioned experimented with effects, amps - though there weren't a lot of choices back then - and though they both played Strats, it was their musical sensibilities and technique that were developed - they played a LOT, and it showed. And in the case of Gilmour, he's still playing.

At a certain point it goes beyond what amps or strings or tubes or cables or effects or plectrum a musician uses. But a good starting point is what they used.

Try a bunch of different picks - shapes, material, thicknesses - find one you like and just go with it.

As a matter of fact, I might try some of those Hercos :)

ReplyQuote
(@cicontention)
Trusted Member

Kevin check in with me on AIM tomorrow once you get your axe! :)

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

If I'm even on AIM^ lol

And thanks for the advice guys. I'll prob get atleast 15 different kind ($5 worth or something)...but I'm just curious to see so I can maybe recgonize the name at a store.

So it seems like thicker picks would make more sense though.

Thanks again.

ReplyQuote