Skip to content
Beginning slide que...

Notifications
Clear all

Beginning slide question - tunings, basics and fun!

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@s7deluxe)
Topic starter  

First off - just one big thank you to all of you who take the trouble to reply to guitarnoise questions!

I've now been playing coming up two years (mid-life born again guitarist, with more money than sense). About a year ago I bought a cheap old Framus blueridge guitar with a D'armond pick-up with a view to playing acoustic (I already had an electric, which I use for lessons). This guitar when it arrived had a thin neck with wide frets, high action and really heavy strings and after a week, I gave up with it and went back to playing the electric.

Last month I bought three books on slide playing, including an Elmore James songbook, and a bottleneck. I picked the guitar up and following the books instructions tuned it to Open D tuning (D chord on open strings). The following few days I could hardly put it down. I've obviously made some improvement over the year but the fun from playing basic 12 bars on this and the'Dust my broom' lick is immense.

Now my basic questions - pretty much all the songs in the Elmore James are Open D tuning, none of the other books have a song in this tuning, now I'm presuming Elmore didn't have a unique singing voice so why use this tuning? Also a lot of the other songs are in Open E - now I'm presuming all 'licks' and scales for this tuning are identical to Open D but moved just moved a tone?

I've seen 'Drop E tuning' mentioned is this the same as Open E?

Also one song book has songs in 6 different slide tunings, is the main point of this to make certain chord/lick sequences easier as well as adding colour?

Finally can anyone recommend any blues tabs for standard tuning on an electric?

Thanks again
Martin

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

lots of questions.
anyway. welcome to th world of slide.
you should head down to the Slide section of this forum.

dropped E or more common dropped D tuning is different than open tuning.
with the former all the strings are lowered to the pitch.
with open tuning the strings are tuned to a chord.
in your case open D.
I play in open G. lots of good songs in that tuning.
also, be aware that you can play in other keys with in an open tuning.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@s7deluxe)
Topic starter  

Hi
Apologies for posting this to beginners - I've been regularly reading these forums and didn't even notice there was a slide section, so i'm off there now!

Thanks

Martin

ReplyQuote