Pic holding and strumming advice requested

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 aoco
(@aoco)
Topic starter  

Hi all,

I found these forums after doing some digging around. I'm recently returning to the guitar. I had an Ibanez about 10 years ago that was like my beloved prize - so beloved I never managed to learn how to play. And in the ignorance of my youth, I had to pawn it. Now that I have the time and money to comit, and my youth begins to fade (28 puts me into a bracket higher than the bottom on most surveys!), I decided to run out on a whim to my local shop where I picked up the Ibanez Jumpstart pack. I've read countless articles and books but I always come away with a mixed message on the topic of holding a pic and no real (or at least 'real' to me) strumming tutorials or practice methods.

Oddly enough, I pretty much started where I left off in my previous experience. I can punch out some chords, pic a few inconsequential riffs but I'm back to my old conundrum: holding the pic and learning to hit only the strings I need. I'm watching to make sure I break at the wrist rather than the elbow with a sweeping arc motion which works. My stumbling block comes when I try to pick up the speed a little bit, I start nailing strings that should be mute.

There have been two ways I was taught to hold the pic, between the index and forefinger as if I were trying to hold a spider's leg, or, curling my index finger under my thumb - my thumb rests on mid-section of my index finger with the pic between the two and the point of the pic coming out at just about where my last knuckle is on my index finger. I feel a little dumb for asking this but I would rather break a bad habit before getting to far along and become limited by my built in habits. Right now I go back and forth depending on what I'm playing. For chords I tend to curl-under while when I'm trying to just play single notes on the strings, I find the other method better.

Also, how much is too much pic? How much of the pic should be exposed? I think part of my problem is too much pic so when I pic up the pace, if I don't roll my wrist fast enough I end up pic'ing extra strings on the down stroke. My upstroke is abyssmal, I can hit the right strings about 1 out of 3 times. Is there a technique or method to learn how to come down on the strings and back up on the same strings?

I know practice is the best medicine, but I would like to know any of the habits or tricks some have used to overcome similar issues. Sorry for the long post - I'm quiet in person but never have enough room to convey a though on the Internet ;) I'm ff to wrest my aching fingertips....

---------
cheers!
aoco

RWB
(@rwb)
Eminent Member

Welcome to GN. As a fellow newbie, I look forward to seeing the comments. Along the same lines, it seems I start missing above 85 bps on the metronome, whether its single strings or a few strings inside the e's. good questions...

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Hi - welcome to GN!

I'm not excactly a guru when it comes to picking techniques - but I'm working on it ;)

Many different approaches exist. Obviously what is important in the end is what works for you! In the mean time, I think generally these tips are valid:
- let your strumming hand "float" - do not lean it on the bridge or support it with your fingers
- hold your pick firmly - without tension
- hold the pick well in between your fingers - let as little as possible show
- use your wrist, not your arm - at some speed you will probably lock up your wrist and start using your arm (at least I do...) - depending on how you hold your pick the movement can be described as turning a doorknob, knocking a door etc...

- Then - practice.

- I found some useful tips here: http://ibreathemusic.com/subcat/12

Good luck - we need it! ;)

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I use my pick between my thumb and index. I'm a bad guitarist tho because usually I just toss the pick strum with my fingers. LOL MY teacher hates that. I need to quit it.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 aoco
(@aoco)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the pointers. I think part of the problem is that I give it too much pic. I'm going to make my fingers bleed a little bit to night to find a better 'balance' point between how much pic is loose. I think Larsko hit a point that I didn't really consider - I don't really let my hand float but balance it on the body of the guitar when I'm hitting specific notes.

Thanks guys!

---------
cheers!
aoco

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

I use my pick between my thumb and index. I'm a bad guitarist tho because usually I just toss the pick strum with my fingers. LOL MY teacher hates that. I need to quit it.Geoo

Yea - I do the same thing. If it has a steady rythm and there are no appeggio's(sp?) I'll use the pick. Otherwise, I mostly use my hands.

I don't dislike the PIC, I just think my hands are faster and more reliable. Besides, I hold the pick loosely and after a awhile it just starts slipping no matter what I do?

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Thanks for the pointers. I think part of the problem is that I give it too much pic.

Also 1: discipline yourself to practice strictly alternate (down-up-down-up) picking. Other patters may be quicker sometimes (e.g. attacking each new string with a downstoke when ascending) but I have learned it's best to stick to alternate picking until you've really internalized it.

Also 2: Angle the pick slightly - not horrizontal - somewhat downwards pointing at the side closest to the headstock

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote