Skip to content
Best sounding A/E g...

Notifications
Clear all

Best sounding A/E guitar in the $500 price range?

13 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@bojack)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone, I'm looking for the best acoustic/electric guitar I can get in the $500 price range. The best one I've seen so far is the Ibanez AW100CE, but I've read a few negative reviews saying that the sound isn't too good. One reviewer even claims that it sounds just as good as a $100 Epiphone starter guitar.

Any info on this guitar or any other A/E guitars worth looking into would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

(@apefeet)
Eminent Member

Bojack,

I've been really happy with my Alvarez FD60AMB guitar. It has great
sound and stays in tune for ages. It is thinner then most acoustics that
I have played which fits better under the arm.

Here is a link Music123 link.

Rich

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

You could also consider Takamine and Ovation, although they are very different.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Ovation gets my vote. 8)

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

I've tried out some Takamines in that price range at the music store and am seriously considering one when I'm ready to buy an electro-acoustic, probably within the next 3-6 months.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@bhikkhu)

You might want to consider a Seagull S6. They are made in Canada and have an excellent reputation. Go to http://www.harmonycentral.com and check out the guitar reviews.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Ovation gets my vote. 8)

Mine too. My CS257 doesnt sound too bad unplugged and sounds terrific plugged in..

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

"Best sounding"? What sounds best to you, may sound lousy to someone else and vice versa. Sound is a very subjective thing. Some people like a guitar, which has bright treble, others prefer one with a lot of rich bass. Then again, there are those, who prefer a well-balanced instrument. Each guitar is different in sound quality and, even guitars of the same make and model, can be slightly different sounding. The way perceive the sound is also very subjective.
It's like asking how long an egg should be boiled for.
Asking what people think is the best quality guitar for the money, in terms of build and playability, may get you more relevant replies.
The only way to find out what sounds best (to you) is to listen to it. Go to a few guitar shopy and try everything .out that you can find

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

My advice, for what it's worth:
- Set your budget
- Go along to any decent music shop, but the bigger the range the better
- Try every electro-acoustic they have that costs your budget amount or less
- Buy the one you like best (for sound plugged, sound unplugged, playability, looks etc).

Anything else may contain traces of peer and/or salesman pressure :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Try Washburn D10SCE...

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Okay, where to start.

1) Ovations are good, but sound better plugged in they when played acousticly.

2) Seagulls are great all around, as are Washburn, Takamine, and Alvarez. They are my suggestions. A Garrison if you can get your hands on one, but that might be hard.

3) Are you a strummer or a finger picker. Dreadnaught may be better for you if your more of a strummer, while a parlour or similar style may be better for finger-picking. However, I mostly finger-pick, but own two dreadnaughts, because of convinence.

4) Play everything in and around your price range. If it's $600, try it, my last acoustic was out of my price range, but I hooked up on a big sale to move old stock pretty much. Try bargaining for a hardshell case too.

5) Solid wood top is a must at that price.

Good Luck!

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

If a little over 500 is ok then i would seriously look into the Washburn Timbercraft line. these are all solid wood with bone nut and saddle including a hard case. i played one and if i had not been shopping for a 12 string A/E i would have bought it in a heartbeat.
i have a Takamine G series A/E (EG523SC) that was a bit more than that but i think it's worth a look. check the Musicians friend site and refine your search untill you get a spread of what they sell according to your wants. they have a 45 day no questions asked return policy if you are leary about buying online free shipping as well for over $200 i believe.

if you are in the market for an A/E then i would strongly suggest checking out Acoustic amplifiers as well

edit--
also i would suggest looking at the Blueridge guitars as well, many top pros are using these in place of Martins now and they are gaining quite a following. i think MF carrys some of them and you can go to http://www.sagamusic.com/ as well

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

edit--
also i would suggest looking at the Blueridge guitars as well, many top pros are using these in place of Martins now and they are gaining quite a following. i think MF carrys some of them and you can go to http://www.sagamusic.com/ as well

Wow, I can't believe I forgot about BlueRidge. They make some amazing guitars. Definitly worth checking out.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote