Notifications
Clear all

Bridge over troubled....strings

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@tradams1)
Topic starter  

I just can't get it, is it just practice i'm missing? I have such a hard time getting my fingers to bridge on a chord, like the A holding down all 3 on the second fret with one finger? what is a good technique to bridge with anyone have any suggestions?
thanks

There is no sweeter music than the music you make yourself.

(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

I think you mean barre. Barre chords take a lot of practice. You just have to keep doing it until eventually it clicks. It took me about 3 weeks of focusing on it to get them right.

As for the A chords, it shouldn't really be a barre. It should be played with the first 3 fingers. By barring it, you lose the open E string and it makes it sound a little off, at least to me.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, you should really play an A chord with 3 separate fingers....gives you more options....but if you're going to play the mini-barre, try and stretch your pinkie up to the fifth fret of the high E string....that way you're playing another A note, which is (obviously) the root of the chord...
And again, using the mini-barre across three strings, your pinkie on the 3rd fret of the high E string will give you an A7 chord...

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@tradams1)
Topic starter  

thanks guys I was worried it was just me :)

There is no sweeter music than the music you make yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Oh yeah, forgot to add....like everything else to do with guitar, practise makes perfect!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

I would also endevour to add that for some people (me) it took much longer to be able to cleanly fret barre chords. Especially moving from barre chords to open and vise versa. I play an acoustic and it took months of practice. and i could still use some improvement.

good luck.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

It took me a long time to get the hang of switching between open and barre chords. The key is to shrugg off frustration and keep at it. You will get it in due time.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I'm a horrible, bad example, but I never practiced them. I did open chords and some moveable shapes for about 14 months. I had tried barre chords before but never got them right and just decided to not bother for a while. Then I was randomly tinerking around with them one day and moved my hand position half an inch, it rang out clear.

Again, don't follow my example, just sayin'! :P

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote