Callouses

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@chefie)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi All,

Question about callouses . . . . . . I've been playing acoustic for a couple of years now and my callouses are pretty well developed but they've developed ridges, probably from pressing too hard. Anyway they're problematic as they tend to catch on the strings now and then.

Do I need to start over? And what would be the best way to go about it? Any suggestions and insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Neil

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Don't know if my method is right or wrong but, I either file them or cut the extra off with an exacto knife.

Just like new.

*Disclaimer- I am very handy with a knife and am not responsible for lost finger tips. :wink:

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I file em.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Why don't you try to file them down a bit with a nail file? You know, the thing that women use for their fingernails? (men might too, so :) ). Seems like that would be much safer than using a knife. :shock: :lol:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I had that problem.
I didnt do anything and it went away.
maybe my technique changed. cant say.

a file is better than knives and biting.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

Uhh....why not just soak your finger in warm water for a while, maybe with some epsom salts and aloe or something? That should soften them a bit...and you'll just regain them again.

Filing? Exacto knives? :shock:
Not for me.

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Filing? Exacto knives? :shock:
Not for me.

I'm not into self-torcher (not anymore anyways, I let my wife handle that now) but, it's quick and easy for me.

Different strokes for different folks.

Some people use a whammy, I prefer the slow bending the of the neck.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Years ago I had extremely thick calluses, and like dogbite's they went away (or at least got a lot thinner) over time. But when mine were really thick, I tried all of the above to keep them in check - the method that worked best was a pumice stone; cutting/biting leaves an edge that can catch strings; files are slower than pumice, although you can use them to 'clean up' and make them smoother.

Why did my calluses lessen over time? I think there are a few factors: first, I can afford better gear now than I could 30 years ago - the easier a guitar is to play, the less pressure on the fingers. Second, when they were really thick I was spending most of my time acquiring techniques (constant practice of a specific motion), and now I spend most of my time maintaining techniques (practice of a variety of acquired motions) so the pressures are spread out a little bit more with various finger angles, etc.

So as you get better, it just becomes less of a problem. I haven't needed to trim mine in 15-20 years now.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

When they got to be a real problem, i used to use nail trimmers to get rid of the excess, and start from scratch. Didn't hurt at all, at least not as bad a torture...

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote