Skip to content
Can someone please ...

Notifications
Clear all

Can someone please tell me what thease chords are called.

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@steven-jones)
Topic starter  

Hi I am Steven Jones a singer / Songwriter / Guitarist who's close to finishing my third album. I need the names of thease chords to complete my last song of my third album. Can someone please help me out. I have searched the internet and struggling to find out what thease 5 chords are called.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

It takes three notes to form a chord.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Try using this tool here to find out what the names are:

http://www.michaelhogg.btinternet.co.uk/gce/index_big.htm

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Not necessarily. Em is a chord and it only uses 2 notes. So does D6 and Bm6, both accepted "chords".

Your first chord is a Cmaj7
Your second chord is an A7
Your third chord I can't identify yet
Your fourth chord is Em7
Your fifth chord I can't identify yet

Well, 3 out of 5 isn't bad!!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

They look like 7th chords. Here is another chord chart.
http://chordguide.com/guitar/chords.asp

"It takes three notes to form a chord."
Yes but not all three needs to be fretted.

Vic

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

No, a chord needs more then two notes. Em has three notes, E B and G. D6 and Bm6 are both basic triads with the sixth added, so both have four notes. You are indeed correct in that you don't need to fret a certain ammount of frets to creat a note. With just the open strings you could play an Em and G, for example. Netzok probably assumes only the dots are to be played whereas you assume all other strings are open. In that case the third and fifth chord might be A7sus2 and Em9 respectively.

Jones: welcome to GN!

ReplyQuote
(@steven-jones)
Topic starter  

I would like to thankyou all for your replies. Thankyou Arjen for welcoming me to GN!

I have wrote over 70 song's yet i have only selected 36 of my best to form thease 3 albums. I alway's end up using open chord shapes which i don't know the names of. As they say the more you practice the more you learn :) I would love to know the names of all the chords i have posted. I will without doubt be back asking for more help with chord shapes in the future. Now that i have found thease forum's it's gonna be hard to see the back of me. I am down to earth person easy going and alway's here to help anyone with problems they have. If i can't solve a problem i will alway's try to give them positive feed back and support :) In this case i need the names of those finger positions i have posted above. Thnx ppl ;)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

"It takes three notes to form a chord."
Yes but not all three needs to be fretted.

Exactly what I meant, but didn't say! Thank you, Vic, for clarifying my statement! :D

And, I do believe you're right about them all being 7ths.

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I will without doubt be back asking for more help with chord shapes in the future.

It may be helpful next time to write either an X for the muted strings or an O for the open strings so we don't have to assume.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Steven: Do you play all strings or just a few? For example, your last chord would be a G7maj if you only hit the 2-5th strings but a Em9 if you also hit either the 1st or 6th string, or both. In any case, learning how to name chords is pretty easy and might be quite helpfull to an already productive person as yourself. For example, lets take your first chord:

[0 2 3 0 0 0]

That would be the following notes:

[E C E G B E]

So our chord consists of only four notes: B C E G. Now we'll have to find out what kind of chord it is. The easiest thing to do is see if you can find either a major or minor triad. In this case we see the familiar C E and G notes, which together form a C-major chord. Now all we have to is figure out what that B is all about. Let's have a look at the C major scale:

C D E F G A B

The B note is the 7th note of this scale. So we'll call our chord a Cmaj7, as Electra asaid above. In any case, tehre are some articles on this site about it and it really takes little time in figuring it all out. To summarize what Electra and I believe the chords are:

C7Maj
A7
A7sus2
Em7
Em9 or G7Maj, depending on which strings you hit

If you have further questions just ask them here.

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

WOW Three albums, I guess your really self taught if your discovering chords as you go :?:

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

The first is a Cmaj7 (x32000). It has the notes C-E-G-B-E. Normally you wouldn't play the low E string.

The next is an A7 (x02020). It has the notes A-E-G-C#-E. Normally you wouldn't play the low E string.

The next chord, fingered 005400 has the notes E-A-G-B-B-E. It's identity is hard to establish. You could call it an Emadd11 (005400), an A7sus2 (x05400) or a G6 (xx5400). What it is exactly would depend on context.

The fourth chord is an Em7 (020030). It has the notes E-B-D-G-D-E.

The fifth chord (054000) is a very dischordant cluster. It has the notes E-D-F#-G-B-E. The F# and G rub against each other in the nastiest way. You could call it an Em9 but a nicer fingering for that is 020002.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

LOL! At least we're all on basically the same page! Now, if only Steven would post again and tell us exactly how he plays each one, we'd know for sure!!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I was surprised too...3 albums and not knowing A7 chord :oops: , somehow i feel the previous albums must be full of major and minor ones..

Can we hear you steve ?

ReplyQuote