Clear all

Chord progression, in the key of ?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@terestron)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I am learning chord progression, and I understand the term in the key of A, which has the cords A, D, E.

Question is if i dropped into a Jam session (say...bluegrass) and they play a song and it is in the key of A, Is there a standard chord progression I must follow? such as chord A, D, and E, then repeat?

The same question for Keys D, G, and C.....

Thanks for you help....

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'm no great fountain of bluegrass knowledge, but a quick "Google" brought up a lot of sites telling me that the predominant progression is G-C-D (I-IV-V in the key of G). Transpose that to other keys and you get A-D-E (in A), for instance. All you need to know is the root , the 4th and 5th positions, in the scale. When that gets boring, there are ways to embellish a progression.

Try Googling "bluegrass chord progression"

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yes, most bluegrass tunes are based on a I-IV-V progression.

G is the most common key for bluegrass... that's because the high banjo string (the short one on top) is G. Other keys can be used too, but if you've got a banjo, almost everybody plays in G :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Yep G,C,D is pretty much it in bluegrass, but it would help to know the keys of C, D and Am. I, IV, V is the standard progression in Bluegrass. If you can Bass, strum a G,C,D progression your ready to fall into any Bluegrass Jam. Love that high lonesome sound. 8)

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote