Clear all

Chord 'Progressions'?

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I am working on my strumming and chord changes. Not sure is chord progression is the right terminology here.

Right now I am strumming...C, D, G, EM, C, etc., round and round and can do it fluently without mistakes.

I know about 2 dozen chords but don't know how they go together to form something that sounds right.

Could someone jot down for me some chords that go together for me to train my fingers to switch between the most popular chords fluently and practice my strumming at the same time? Thanks! - Joe

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Common progressions that are fun to play are just the simple I-IV-V, which in the key of C would be C-F-G (or G7).

In the key of D it would be D-G-A7 (or A)

Key of E would be E-A-B7

I think there's a whole bunch of chord progression lessons online here somewhere too. Have fun :)

ReplyQuote
(@jbehar)
Trusted Member

I'm not sure of the technical or theoretical progressions but try these two

C Am F G for songs like:

All I have to do is dream
Blue Moon
Hold me thrill me

G Em C D for songs like

Last Kiss
Runaround Sue
Stand by me

I'm sure there are many others.

As a matter of fact I seem to recall hearing that these two progressions are actually the same, just in different keys..Someone with more knowledge than I have will chime in here and correct me shortly, I'm sure

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Here is a couple more:
Bad Moon Rising D A G D
Strum pattern [D]dddu [A]ud [G]ud [D]uddduddu

Leaving on a jet plane G C G C D Dsus4 D
Strum Pattern D DU UD

Nowhere man D A G D Em Gm D
Strum Pattern D DU UD

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. I have to look 1 of those up (Dsus4) and will get practicing!

I will check to find those lessons also.

Now that I can do this stuff without pain, buzzing and frustration, this is getting FUN!!!! :D :D :D

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

I'm not sure of the technical or theoretical progressions but try these two

C Am F G for songs like:

All I have to do is dream
Blue Moon
Hold me thrill me

G Em C D for songs like

Last Kiss
Runaround Sue
Stand by me

I'm sure there are many others.

As a matter of fact I seem to recall hearing that these two progressions are actually the same, just in different keys..Someone with more knowledge than I have will chime in here and correct me shortly, I'm sure

Yes, these are both the same, i.e. I-vi-IV-V in the keys of C and G respectively.

Note that because the I and vi are closely related (I has the notes 1-3-5, while vi has the notes 6-1-3 ), this progression is a variation on the I-IV-V.

I'm not going to list the various progressions here, but instead put a few general points.

Chords in a given key have 3 basic functions:

I is the tonic (restful, calm, home). The vi is a variation on the I.

V (V7) is the dominant (restless, tense). The vii diminished is a variation on the V.

IV is the subdominant and can go either way. In any case it doesn't want to hang around too long. The ii is a variation on the IV.

The iii is a special case and can have characteristics of all three, depending on context. It is perhaps best classified as a subdominant, but contrasted against the V it can function as a tonic and against the I it functions as a dominant. It is probably most used as a passing chord.

Read David's introductory Theory lessons on key and chord function:

Five to Three

and

You Say You Want a Resolution.

I hope this helps.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

A classic Rock progression is I, bIII, bVII or variations like I, bVII, bIII

The chorus for Sunshine of Your Love goes A, C, G which is the 1st progression. This song is actually in the key of D, but this progression is used for the chorus. The 2nd progression is Taking Care of Business by BTO. You will find many Rock songs that use this progression.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Boy, did I mess that 2nd progression up. Taking Care of Business actually goes C, Bb, F, C, which is I-bVII-IV-I. :oops: That's what happens when you post without your guitar handy. But Rock music uses the bIII and bVII chords often.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

This really isn't a progression but you might find it useful for organizing your thoughts.

Write the open chord names down thusly:

B E A D G C F

Pick any Chord, for example "C". The chord that follows it above , "F" is the fourth and the chord before it above "G" is the fifth. This holds true for any root chord you choose when they are written down in this order. If you take "A" then the fourth is "D" and the fifth (the one before it above) is "E". Memorize this little arrangement of letters and you can easily detirmine the 4ths and 5ths.

I should point out that I plagarized this from another post here (that I couldn't find to link to), so kudos to whomever posted this first.

Have a great Christmas.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Narn's shortcut will give you only the letter roots of the chords, so it doesn't work in all keys. To make it work, you need to know which scale degrees are altered by the key signatures...

B = B-E-F#
F = F-Bb-C
Bb = Bb-Eb-F

etc

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

I've often wondered about the I-bIII-bVII (A-C-G) progression.

IMO, it is basically an Aminor progression, but with a i->I (minor ->major) substitution to make it sound happier. At least that's one way of looking at it and many others in this vein. (Minimum of note changes).

i-III-VII (Am-C-G) is also extremely common.

Another thing I've seen often in this vein (minor/major substitution on the tonic) is I-bVI-V or variations thereof (like E-C-B). Rock players often seem to instinctively gravitate towards major chords, even on typically minor progressions. Metal is an exception to this.

The other one I-bVII-IV-I, is also very common. I immediately think of "The Clampdown" by the Clash. It is the typical "Mixolydian" progression.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

I should have added that Noteboat, I meant it as written for only common open postion chords that are neither sharpened nor flattened.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote