Clear all

thumb position on neck

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Only been playing about three weeks. I been watching my thumb on the back of the neck as I play chords and it changes position. C major its almost parallel to the neck and G major is straight up. I tried keeping it straight up for all the chords and can't. Is it alright for my thumb to change positions? BTW sometimes I curl it

(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Yes your thumb will move to a different position for different chords.

I doubt there is one exact correct position. The thumb provides the strength to press the strings and for me at least I don't worry about my thumb as long as it is comfortable and able to provide pressure.

Although I checked and my thumb position is not exactly the same as yours but similar.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, I was told elsewhere that it should not stray more then slightly from a standard position. ( halfway up the neck and straight) I have been practicing changing from c to g and vice versa ( very difficult for me) and wondered if its a factor. I probably should just pay attention to my other fingers and the thumb will take care of its self

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Do whatever is comfortable as long as you ring the notes clearly. That's all that matters.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

A long time ago I use to try to keep my thumb as close to the middle of the neck as possible and had a heck of a time changing chords and my hand got tired real quick. My teacher at the time told me it was more important to be comfortable but always try to keep some air between you hand and the neck and keep your thumb atleast behind the neck. In other words "no chocking".

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

No I don't choke (but I have seen people fret a string with their thumb) most I'll do is sometimes put it straight up over the neck....thanks all

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

No I don't choke (but I have seen people fret a string with their thumb) most I'll do is sometimes put it straight up over the neck....thanks all
People will some times do the "thumb over" to either fret the low E or mute the low E. I can't do that as my hands are short.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'll fret with my thumb sometimes to get a particular voicing. It really helps to know the tune in advance though.... last night I was playing accompaniment for a christmas caroling party on short notice, and I didn't have time to do the tunes in advance, so I was sight reading them from head charts. The choir director at the church doing the party would call a tune, and give me a moment to find it in one of the three fake books I was using (thankfully, everything called was in at least one of them) and off we went.

In one tune, I used a thumb for a Gm voicing 3x0333 and promptly got caught off guard by the next chord - I think it was Bb9. Yank the neck up, shift the wrist down, lean forward... not pretty, but you cope with the corners you paint yourself into :)

As a rule, keeping the thumb behind the neck gives you better reach, and makes you more aware of neck angle and wrist position. There are a lot of variables, though... hand size has a lot to do with what's 'best', as does playing position. When I play classical, I often have my thumb on the bottom half of the neck; even though it's not the 'optimum' position by the books, it works well for the way I'm built. The key is knowing the 'whys', and applying them to the 'whats' you have to work with.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

hi

I have very small hands and fat little fingers my thumb goes where ever.
or I just can't play certain chords such as G

it really don't matter as others have said as long as your chords sound clear and not muffled then your doing just fine

cheers

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I have very small hands. It really don't matter as others have said as long as your chords sound clear and not muffled then your doing just fine

I also have small hands and find it easier to get clear tones when I place my thumb about in the center of the back of the neck. If I try to let it run up above the neck like some of those long fingered players do, I tend to deaden the high e string, so I need the extra "space" that holding my thumb lower gives me. There are certain chords, though where I might even have my thumb positioned at the bottom of the neck rather than the top or middle just to be able to make the reach. For example, some shuffles that require me to span from the second fret to the fourth and then to the fifth on the fifth or sixth string make it absolutely necessary for my thumb to be right at the bottom of the neck, or I just flat can't make the reach. It's an individual preference. Whatever works for you is the right way to do it. IMHO.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote