Clear all

Need help choosing a new amp :)

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 em0
(@em0)
Topic starter  

I need help choosing a guitar amp. I've been playing on practice amp for a long time. I'm sick of it.

I have no idea whether to get a solid state or a tube amp.

My budget is roughly $500, I'm willing to spend more or save some money if I can. But I basically want the best amp I can get for $500.

I currently have a boss metal pedal, I like what it does for my practice amp, it sounds good. I haven't tried it with other amps yet.

I was thinking about just walking into guitar center (or any local music store) and just asking the saleperson "I have $500, what's the best amp for that price?" I'm not sure if that would be a good idea. What do you guys think. I'm also not very comfortable playing in public, so I would ask them to play on a certain amp that I'm interested in.

I'm looking for an amp with good high gain distortion. Heavy and beefy, the way I like it.

Feel free to ask me any questions to help narrow down the choices.

P.S. I would like to buy the amp at a local store, no internet retailers, thanks.

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Maybe one of the Line 6 Spider II's. Look up the prices and specs at musiciansfriend.com to get an idea of what they can do.

ReplyQuote
 em0
(@em0)
Topic starter  

I checked out the spider II at
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/482246/

I liked what I saw, the sounds byte are good. I listen to the Metal sound byte, and that's exactly what I'm looking for. How much can I trust the sound files compared to what it sounds like in real life?

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I listened to the soundbytes on Line 6 before I got my POD 2, and they were just about identical. If your store has the Spiders, try it out live. :)

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

How much can I trust the sound files compared to what it sounds like in real life?

You can trust them. I got the Spider II 112 a few weeks back, sorta an early Christmas present for myself. Its PLENTY LOUD!! and Many Many options of tone and sounds. I don't use my RP100A with is. Don't need to. And I picked it up for less than your budget.

Happy Hunting.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote