Clear all

chords in distortion???

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i hear lots of music played with distortion, and the chords sound good distorted, but I cant seem to replicate the sound.

is it possible to play chords in distortion?

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Stick to power chords. That's what they're for.

Other chords contain so-called 'imperfect' intervals that can cause problems when distorted. Power chords don't have any imperfect intervals.

ReplyQuote
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Stick to power chords. That's what they're for.

Other chords contain so-called 'imperfect' intervals that can cause problems when distorted. Power chords don't have any imperfect intervals.

I always thought power chords where mainly punk type stuff?

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

No - Think of the Who, Nirvana, Hendrix, etc, etc. - Power chords galore!!!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Guitar Player just had a little lesson blurb on Stone Temple Pilots, who use all kinds of chords distorted. The example shows a G#/C, a Bbm7b5, etc.

They run the guitar through two channels - one clean, one distored, and mix the results.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

No - Think of the Who, Nirvana, Hendrix, etc, etc. - Power chords galore!!!

i like / try to play the killers, stuff like that, and the tabs dont seem power chord related?

ReplyQuote
(@kevinbatchelor77)
Trusted Member

Hendrix used many chords that were not power chords distorted. His amazing sound come from his elaborate chord work.

There are some really cool power chords you can use. Power chords don't have to be the typical boring two finger 1 note and 5 note chords. Power chords are basically any chord with the first and the fith and they always seem to sound good distorted. Here is an example of a very cool power chord. If this is played at the 12th fret it is a cool C power chord.
finger
high e| 1| | |4|
| 1|2| | |
| 1| | | |
| x| | | |
| x| | | |
low e| | | | |

You may already know of these types of power chords but I thought that I would mention them. There are several different forms but as you can see I am not that good at tabbing them out but you may be able to find them on the web.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I maybe the odd one out here, but this example will surely wash out any myth of not using distortion on electric while playing open chords.

In the above video, you can clearly see that Billie Joe Armstrong is playing open G, C, D and Em chords and to me he is sounding pretty good.

In a nutshell - You gotta know how to play them.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Want to see the absolute master of powerchords in action?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE

Look no further than Pete T.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I can't tell in that video, but the modern pete townshend doesn't use just power chords. He uses tons of open chords too - and it sounds great.

If open chords don't work well with OVERDRIVE, I don't know about distortion, then I might look to my amp/set up to see if it's all good equipment.

Also, have you tried with just natural distortion? IE: turn amp really loud, and the sound will break up naturally.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I maybe the odd one out here, but this example will surely wash out any myth of not using distortion on electric while playing open chords.

In the above video, you can clearly see that Billie Joe Armstrong is playing open G, C, D and Em chords and to me he is sounding pretty good.

In a nutshell - You gotta know how to play them.

Close but no cigar, Rahul. The secret is obvious once you learn it, but most new guitarists in search of a "heavy" sound take quite a while to figure it out.

Ready? Here it is . . .

Turn the gain down, y'all. You're using too much distortion.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

LOL, Moonrider, but I LIKE a lot of distortion! Another handy little tip if you've got the gain/distortion way up there - make sure the guitar's PERFECTLY tuned! If one string's the teensiest bit sharp or flat, it's going to sound muddy as hell instead of crisp and crunchy.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I always keep my guitar tuned.

I also have the gain turned down around 2 - 2 and 1/2..

Guess im carrying on with power chords lol

ReplyQuote