Notifications
Clear all

% depreciation of a guitar's as-new price with age

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@parleydee)
Topic starter  

Hi all, first post from lurkdom for me. I hope I've posted this question in an appropriate part of the forum!

I bought my current electro-acoustic donkey's years ago and haven't followed the market since. My back is telling me that a lighter guitar is needed, and a player & teacher I know and trust is selling a 1992 electro-acoustic which is more manageable than mine. He's maintained it immaculately, the setup is perfect and I have no concerns with the instrument itself. The sale is on a make-me-an-offer basis, though. I found new prices for the same model on the Internet, but I'm not sure what percentage of the new price constitutes a fair offer for a 15-year-old instrument. I'm not interested in trying to pay less than it's worth, on the other hand no one wants to spend money unnecessarily.

Any advice from anyone with more buying/selling experience than I?

(I'm in Australia, if that's relevant.)

(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

Condition and brand are the two big factors in determining resale price.

Martins, Taylors, Breedloves, Gibsons, Guilds and the like were expencive & high quality and will hold there value or appreciate over the years provided they are taken care of. Dings & scrapes are to be expected. Cracks and repairs can seriously decrease value.

Cheap instruments will loose most of their value the minute you walk out of the store never to be regained. A Sears Silvertone was junk fourty years ago and if keep in imaculate shape is junk today.

I'd watch e-bay to see what simmilar guitars (by brand and model) are going for.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
(@parleydee)
Topic starter  

Hi oldiron, thanks for the response. As mentioned, there are no scrapes, cracks or repairs to contend with, it's pretty much in mint condition.

It's a Washburn for which current retail seems to be "list price" approx. $900US but in practice anywhere from $620US upwards.

I know that what-should-I-pay-for-guitar-X is a how-long-is-a-piece-of-string type of question. I guess I'm looking for a more general answer - "market trends" rather than specific price tags.

ReplyQuote
(@parleydee)
Topic starter  

And I will be looking at eBay, yes, though in Australia at least I've never seen the same guitar on eBay. I'll have a look at international sites when I get a chance (eBay is blocked from where I normally have internet access, sadly!)

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

I'd offer him 350 (half new)and see what happens. Washburns aren't bad but not top line either. I saw a used Washburn 12 string in a music shop in town here before Christmas and they were asking 300 for it. It was in good shape and played well. I'd paid that but I have just spent a bunch on a new guitar and couldn't get another past the "finance department" (wife) right now.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i think if you look around on the internet you may be able to come up with a blue book for guitar prices. i know i've seen it somewhere.

ReplyQuote