Clear all

different variations of chords

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@blueeyez6489)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

all my books and websites show several different versions of the same chord...some of the formations are very easy and some are hard, so is it really that important to learn all of the different variations :?:

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Really important? Depends on what you want to do with the guitar.

If your goal is to be able to accompany yourself singing, knowing just one of every chord you need in a tune is enough to give you a rendition of the song.

Knowing more than one gives you choices - and makes possible chord melodies. If your goal is to play solo instrumental guitar, you'll want to know as many voicings as possible.

Most guitarists fall in the middle. Knowing just one of each means you might need to make awkward leaps up and down the fretboard to grab the chord you need. Knowing 3 or 4 voicings of common chords lets you make much easier transitions.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Sometimes a voicing won't sound right so you'll have to use another one.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

Since were already in the bigginers Q and A, what are chord melodies? Why would you need them for those?

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It is a piece of music, where you combine the melody of the piece with the harmony (i.e. chords and, even, bass line).
Here is my first attempt at a chord melody

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member

I asked the same question like 3 days ago and I got these really complicated answers...why couldnt i have simple easy ones like this?

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I asked the same question like 3 days ago and I got these really complicated answers...why couldnt i have simple easy ones like this?

Luck of the draw. "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you just might find, you get what you need" 8)

By the way where was the post?

Nevermind I found it. I can see what your talking about. I'd say brush up on a little theory and your previous post will make sense.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@blueeyez6489)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Luck of the draw. "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you just might find, you get what you need" 8)

By the way where was the post?

Nevermind I found it. I can see what your talking about. I'd say brush up on a little theory and your previous post will make sense.

oh boy i was just listening to that song :lol:

gotta love the stones

ReplyQuote