Clear all

How to play some strings, not others

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've seen this in several tabs, and I'm confused.
How do you play a note on strings 5 and 3 without also strumming the 4th string?

For instance:

I can understand how you would play those last 2 chords (power chords? double-stops? ) if you were finger picking, but that doesn't really suit this song.
How do I do it with a pick, and not sound a note on the 4th string?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Theres just no way to play that with a pick and not sound the D string. Ya gotta fingerpick it dude...

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Hybrid picking avoid the middle string(s). Use the pick as a downstroke on the lower note, pick the upper note with your middle or ring finger.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ya gotta fingerpick it dude.

Hmmm. The bar of tab that I posted is from Nugent's Cat Scratch Fever.
I wouldn't have expcected him to be fingerpicking in that song.

But I guess if that's the only way...

*edit*

I just noticed NoteBoat's post.

Thanks. I'll have to give that a try.
I hadn't heard of that technique before.

So much to learn...

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Actually I think he's muting that string just lay your fretting finger on it so it doesn't sound.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

If the string in between the two notes is to be muted, it should be notated with an X in the tab.

Hybrid or
finger picking Muting

--- ---
--- ---
-0- -0-
--- -X-
-3- -3-
--- ---

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

ChordsAndScales.co.uk

I completely agree with you that the D string should be shown muted, but it is very likely that was played with downstrokes, the finger fretting the note on the A string drapped over to mute the D string.

It is just a bad tab.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hmmm. Gotta admit, looking at it in isolation, that the hybrid picking option gets my vote. I've just tried it out using my middle finger on the 3rd string.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

But, if I had to put money on a Nugent song, I'd say he's muting the middle string.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote