Clear all

discouraging fathers.

54 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Thanks . . . to whomever edited my post.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Well, they don't send parents home with instruction manuals. Kids don't get them either. We all kind of make this up as we go along with only our own past experiences to guide us.

Looking at what you've said so far, I see a father who took the time out to take you to the guitar store and then asked to see what you can do. I also see a kid more than willing to show him. You two are a big step ahead of many, many, many people in this world. Allow eachother to make a mistake once in a while and you'll be just fine. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Ooooops, I dble posted. Sorry folks.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Easy there, Roy. Neztok may be way over the top there (yeah, great idea, telling a 14 year old kid to leave home and have nothing to do with her dad, huh?) but let's not start any flame wars, eh?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Nobody here has any idea what is going on, but let's all live and let live. What was the guitar question again?

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

How many angels can fit on the head (stock) . . . of a guitar?

And give a rationale for your answer, please.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

That would have been me! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

That would have been me! :D
Speaking of angels . . . thanks EB.

Neztok:
There's been other motives attributed for the comment the father made . . .
some very plausible and . . . probably more credible than yours.

I think you're attributing characteristics to the father that aren't justified . . .
some characteristics that are from your own experiences . . . and most likely don't apply here.

But it's all speculation . . .
and is as about as important as speculating on the number of angels that can dance on the head of a guitar . . .
at least that topic has something to do with guitars.

KR2

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Well, that gives Maisie a reason to be grateful she has a father . . .
that took the time to take her to the guitar store . . .
and buy her a guitar . . .
and cared enough to ask her about what she had learned so far.

That she interpreted it the way she did and reacted the way she did is typical of someone who is only 14 years old and hasn't lived long enough to appreciate and be thankful for what they do have.

That message from you is DEFINITELY more important than any guitar lesson she will ever have.

KR2

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Maisie,

My father wasn't very encouraging either. He was an intelligence officer during the cold war era; I was his hippie musician son. Oil and water, pretty much.

I remember telling my mother some years ago that I wished he's supported me more in what I wanted to do in my youth... she had a different take on it: maybe the reason I've been successful with music is because I needed to prove to him that I was right - and that if he'd been more supportive, I wouldn't have needed to be so stubborn about it, and I might not be where I am today.

So I totally sympathize. If music is what you need to do, then you need to do it. I can't tell you that everything will be easy, because it won't. But I can tell you that sticking to your guns is worth it. In retrospect, my mother was right - I needed the opposition to really put my heart and soul behind what I always needed to do.

Hang in there, and do what you need to do.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Yep, there's a reason . . .

Just one other point . . .

Most 14 year olds will ignore any worldly advice . . .
like being grateful for what they have . . .
because at 14 we ALL already knew what was important . . .
we didn't need to be told . . . in fact, we kind of resented it.

What a grand feeling it was to know everything important . . . remember?

But Maisie seems different.
She's already submitted lyrics for a song about her uncle who was diagnosed with cancer.
And the lyrics are pretty darn good . . . and when you consider they were from a 14 year old . . . remarkably good.
So, who knows . . . maybe she'll get something out of this thread . . .

. . . but I still am waiting for some answer on how many angels . . .

KR2

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

UGH! he makes me so mad! All I ever asked of him was a little encouragement!

What should I do?

You've got me laughin', kid. One day'll you'll get here, too.

As for the "what should I do?"

"Teach Your Children" by CSNY

If yer serious about your guitar playing...go ahead and learn to play anything off this album...THEN take another look at your dad's attitude. I discovered being a kid was way easier. :wink:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

UGH! he makes me so mad! All I ever asked of him was a little encouragement!

What should I do?
You come here, we give it to you, you carry on, learn to play the thing? :? Hang in there. If playing guitar was easy everyone would do it. As far as your Dad, I don't know him or you but parenting takes practice too. Tell him to hang in there. :mrgreen:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It's because we love you Netzok. Tough love.

- Guitarnoise Dad

P.S. I think you are just outnumbered on the board by the geezers and dads. You are welcome to your opinion and I encourage you to post it. Sometimes as a geezer I forget what it was like to be young and rebellious and downtrodden. But take my word for it, the only difference between being young and old is time.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Man, I dble posted again. How clumsy.

Roy

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4