Skip to content
Do different Elec. ...

Notifications
Clear all

Do different Elec. guitars sound different?

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@joeyfivethumbs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Or do they just feel different? I am a blues fan and it seems like a lot of blues players use strats and/or the old time 50's looking guitar. Do these guitars have a pre-disposition to a blues sound? Do electrics just come down to the equipment you are using with it? Let's say you had some blues pedal, would the output sound the same even if you had different guitars plugged into it? Does your guitar choice just come down to feel and look?

Just curious :-)

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Yes, body styles, pick up types, and pick up arrangements all have significant effect on how a guitar sounds when amplified 'clean.'

However, the most important aspect of any guitar is that the person playing it likes it and wants to play it.

You can have the "right" guitar to play your favorite style of music, but if you think it feels 'odd' and doesn't look right, then you won't play it nearly as frequently as if you have a "wrong" style guitar that you love the look and feel of.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yes, they sound different.

Blues can be played, and sound great, on ANY guitar!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The number one thing is pickups: single coils or humbuckers being the two most obvious choices. In Blues it really doesn't matter: Eric Clapton and SRV used single coils, BB king and Albert King used humbuckers. Personally I believe the amp matters MUCH more then the guitar, and playing technique matters more then the amp. If you have a guitar you like playing then dont worry too much.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Yes and different guitarists sound different too. 8) There is no right or wrong combination. You can't go wrong playing a guitar yo like.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you bet. all guitars sound and feel different. I also have found that there is a difference within the same brand. that is why it is so important to try a bunch of guitars before buying one.
pickup type, wiring, tone, saddle, wood, bridge all add up. each guitar is somewhat unique.
some guitars, like the Dimebag shredder pointy guitars are made to sound a specific singular way.
Fender strats I consider one of the most versatile guitars. they can play about any style.
the same can apply to acoustic guitars.

it is up to the player to learn the character of the instrument.
then he can use that voice to express his own.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

The number one thing is pickups: single coils or humbuckers being the two most obvious choices. In Blues it really doesn't matter: Eric Clapton and SRV used single coils, BB king and Albert King used humbuckers. Personally I believe the amp matters MUCH more then the guitar, and playing technique matters more then the amp. If you have a guitar you like playing then dont worry too much.

+1

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote