Clear all

Drop D tuning

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@70chevelle)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I understand that I am dropping my low E string to a D, but, can you do it with a tuner (how?) or do you have to do it by ear? I am currently trying to learn D. Hodges Harvest Moon lesson, which I have the "hook" down, but I need to retune to work on the rest. How do you tune to drop D?

By the way, great site, especially the D. Hodges Lessons!

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

If you have a tuner, it's simple. Just tune the string down until the tuner indicates you've got the right pitch -- a D.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You take de low E and you drop de tuning, mon :lol: :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

If you have a tuner, it's simple. Just tune the string down until the tuner indicates you've got the right pitch -- a D.

Isn't that only with a chromatic tuner?

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Isn't that only with a chromatic tuner?
I believe that a "Guitar Tuner" tunes on specific notes - E, A, D, G, B, irrespective of octave. As "D" is already represented, he should be able to tune to it.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@70chevelle)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Again, I understand what drop D tuning is and what has to be done. The question is how do I do it? I have a Korg tuner, but when I take some tension off of the low E string, the tuner goes to the flat side until it shows nothing at all? I'm going to assume the tuner I have is a guitar tuner, not chromatic. 440hz? is the center, which shows when the string is in tune, and it also tells me the string # and note, if any of that helps.

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Again, I understand what drop D tuning is and what has to be done. The question is how do I do it? I have a Korg tuner, but when I take some tension off of the low E string, the tuner goes to the flat side until it shows nothing at all? I'm going to assume the tuner I have is a guitar tuner, not chromatic. 440hz? is the center, which shows when the string is in tune, and it also tells me the string # and note, if any of that helps.

What model tuner do you have 70chevelle? I have a Korg CA-30, which allows me drop D tune ... particularly for the exact song you are trying to play.

My only suggestion is to take more tension off. The tuner needle should then flick over to the high side but the note on the display should be D (or possibly D#). Took me a little while to figure this out but proved very helpful especially for the slack C tuning for Neil Young's Pochahontas.

Of course, if your tuner isn't a chromatic then I'm not sure if this'll work.

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@smcclure)
Trusted Member

You could also compare it to the 5th string. I think, if you are in drop D, it should be 7th fret on the 6th string matches the open 5th string.

____
Steve

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

If it shows a note name, it's chromatic. When you tune down the E will go flat and disappear from the screen to be replaced (usually) by "D#" or "Eb." Keep tuning down. It will eventually reach "D" and you work to center the indicator.

If you have to manually set the tuner for each string, set it for D (the fourth string) and tune down your E string until you get a centered indicator. If your tuner shows you by some indication a string number instead of a note, do the same thing - tune the E string down until the light for the D string comes on and then center it.

Hope this helps. You might want to spnd some time simply practicing manually tuning. The more you do that, the more you'll hear and you won't believe how quickly you'll get your ears to help you out.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

I used to tune to drop D all the time to play the prelude to Bach's 1st cello suite. Just pluck your low E and your open D, and tune your E down until the pitches match. Takes like 5 seconds.

ReplyQuote
(@love-tractor)
Eminent Member

All I do is put a finger on the second fret and tune down until I get an E.

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

No electronic tuner needed: just detune the E until its seventh fret matches the A string.

ReplyQuote
(@sparrow-aka-honor-roller)
Trusted Member

you'll be in tune to yourself that way, and i do it a lot. but sometimes it takes a while before you can tell the sound is in unison, not everyone can get the right pitch tuning by ear. When you're a beginner you're not as aware of intervals and that my tuning keys turn 1 and 3/4s to get close to pitch. really you have to tune all of the strings, because the neck changes slightly when you tune, so all the others will go sharp or flat when you change one string a full step. My tuner says 6E, and if i want to drop to D i can tune that string so it says 4D, of course its an octave lower but that doesn't really matter. Most tuners have flats as well, and Korgs i've seen go 5-6 semi-tones or half-steps. So to drop down a full step you have two flat symbols on screen.

ReplyQuote
(@70chevelle)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help. I found, after looking up my tuner on the net, that it has the ability to tune down, up to 5 semitones. So it was pretty easy, after I figured it out. Mr. Hodge, you probably should have chastised me! When I re-read through the Harvest lesson, paying attention to other things than the notes, fingerings, & strum patterns, I noticed that you give a pretty good explaination of how to tune to Drop D. I will do better in the future, now that I know that the lessons on this sight are extremely comprehensive. I know that I couldn't have figured out the songs that I am playing without the mp3's and the lessons themselves. Thanks to all!

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Mr. Hodge, you probably should have chastised me! When I re-read through the Harvest lesson, paying attention to other things than the notes, fingerings, & strum patterns, I noticed that you give a pretty good explaination of how to tune to Drop D. I will do better in the future, now that I know that the lessons on this sight are extremely comprehensive. I know that I couldn't have figured out the songs that I am playing without the mp3's and the lessons themselves. Thanks to all!

LOL! Sometimes I think my lessons are the equivalent to the old joke about Playboy Magazines ("...I only buy it for the articles..."). But I'm glad you got things worked out. That's the most important thing.

Thanks for the kudos.

And please calle me "David." :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote