Should I buy a second guitar?

93 Posts
34 Users
0 Likes
14.5 K Views
(@thegrimm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have a serious moral dilemma. Oh, okay, it's probably neither serious nor a moral dilemma. But it feels serious :lol:

If someone asks me whether I like to play lead or rythm guitar, I can't answer them. If someone asks me what style want to play, I can't answer them. I love it all. For me, playing guitar is a hobby. It's personal. For me. I just want to make beautiful sounds. I don't feel the need to specialize as, playing for myself mostly, I don't need to sound good to anyone but myself.

Now, I've got a steel string acoustic (plug in) Ibanez which I love, but I ALSO like what can be done with an electric guitar in terms of effects and whatnot. And I'm seriously considering buying an electric guitar. But part of my problem is already that, even on an acoustice, there just too much to learn that I often get stuck into analysis paralysis. Yes, I know, I need to structure my practice more.

So. The dilemma. Do I buy an electric guitar? Or should I wait until my acoustic playing is more respectable? And if I wait...how long?

(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

I can't play a guitar at all but I own

1 electric

1 Acustic - steel strings

people ask me what I like to play I tell them I love to anything ... or anything mainly anything ( wish I could play a decent tune that sounds like it is suppose to )

My moto is afford what you buy and buy what you can afford

If you can't afford what you want then wait till you can

Don't settle for anything else buy what you like and like what you buy

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Grimm, I must say I've been going through pretty much the same dilemma as you lately. I love the acoustic but wouldn't mind giving an electric a burl. However, given how much I still have to learn on the acoustic alone, it's rather daunting thinking of how much more there'll be should I throw an electric into the mix.

I'll probably just continue with my acoustic at this stage though; I'm enjoying it immensely and I'm finally getting some full songs under my belt. I think I'll wait another six to twelve months then re-evaluate (I'm also learning the harmonica atm). Mind you, I've only been playing for a little over six months as it is so maybe it's a little early for me to be considering a different style just yet? :?

Anyhoo, having said all that, I can totally see where you're coming from. It's also just a hobby for me and I'm keen to try so many different guitars: resonators, banjos, electrics, hollow body electrics etc etc. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I think owing more is not a problem as far as you can afford them.Don't allow the guitars to come into the home budget thats it !

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Ah, GAS. We all have it. We all enjoy it.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

If you had never used silverware in your life (Forks, spoons, knives, etc) and suddenly one day you realized that they were available. Would you only buy a fork and use the fork until you were pretty good at it. Knowing how to grasp it properly, how to angle it to get the food on top, how much you could trust it to hold the food all the way to your mouth? Or would you buy a fork, spoon and a knife so that you could use each for its normal proper use: knowing that you would get better at all of them as you used it throughout your lifetime?

If you can afford it, i'd get the whole set.

I really need to get OFF this diet.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Sure you should.

Have one for standard tuning
one for open tuning
one for DADGAD
one with higher action for slide
an electric with hardtail
an electric with tremelo
an acoustic 12
an electric 12
a midi guitar and synth combo

an acoustic parlor, dreadnaught, jumbo
a travel guitar
a beater

but when?

I don't really remember all the way back to only having two, but this may help.

"When to buy guitar number....."

#2. Right after you buy the first and shortly before buying the 3rd

#3. Between 11am and about 2pm on a weekday - the kids are in school, and you can get the full attention of the sales staff if you need it.

#4. Anytime after performing a major remodeling of a bathroom or kitchen. Forgiveness of your minor transgression is assured.

#5. When you get your Income Tax refund.

#6. When you get your Christmas bonus. "Hey, I don't work this hard for nothing."

#7. Your first gig. It would be irresponsible of you not to have a backup and numbers one through six are too nice to just use as backups.

#8. When Music123 or Guitar Centar has a big sale. Think of all the money you saved by acting now. I mean that's enough money to take the wife and kids on vacation. Sometime between the second and third Island of the cruise your wife will talk to you again.

#9. See number 3. Again between 11 and 2 on a weekday, that way you can sneak it back into the house. Deceit is easier than getting forgiveness.

#10. As soon as the money in your secret secondary direct deposit account reaches the purchase price.

#11. The right time for number 11 is after accepting the job offer for your second job so you can pay off the previous nine still on your credit card.

#12. Number 12 is after the wife has taken the kids and left you and you notice you now have an empty room to fill.

#13. Number 13 is after you've attended the court ordered marital therapy for being obsessive compulsive and you notice the therapist is wearing a fender t-shirt. After an hour of talking about the merits of Tusq vs. bone he says: "Dude, you don't have a problem. Let's get together and jam."

#14. Number 14? Well 13 is just an unlucky number, bad mojo.

#15. Number 15 is after you tell the wife the story of the therapist in the Fender t-shirt and she tells you "that's it, we are never coming back". Then you pack her stuff in boxes, the movers get it and the empty space cries out to you to be filled

#16. Number 16? Come on, I mean you did just have the temperature controlled/humidity controlled room built. Wouldn't it be a waste not to keep it fully stocked?

After about 16 you just stop counting. Denial is easier that way.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I think it's essential to have more than one guitar. That way, when you're re-stringing your number 1 and number 2 (drop D tuning) classical guitars you can play the number 1 backup and the number 2 backup whilst the strings are bedding in on your main axes.

I must go get a backup electric....

and a backup 12-string...

and a backup mandolin...

and...

and...

and...

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

what ? you are asking permission to buy anoher guitar??

just kidding.

I think it is essential for a guitar player who loves music as much as you do to have both acoustic and electric guitars.

the expanded possiblities of enjoyment would increase immensely.
it would give you added energy to learn and play more.

go for it.
and dont get something cheap ass. get something really nice. it'll blow you away.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Nick!, i'm surprised!

you forgot a semi-hollow electric and an acoustic electric :wink:
man you're slippin :roll:

not to mention a Bass, banjo, mandolin,..... :shock:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

The dilemma is GAS. Yup, yup, yup! Better get another guitar.

If anyone ask you whether you play lead or rhythm just say whatever moves me.

:D

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Pay no attention to the silliness above...

Owning a second guitar will actually improve your playing on both of them.

Go for it.

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

Nobody here is going to tell you Don't Buy. I suppose you'd have gone to the spouse if you wanted that answer so you really want an electric. If you want it get it. I believe there's sufficient difference between an acoustic and an electric to make it worth having and learning on both.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Laz,

I should be really good by now then.

ReplyQuote
(@davem)
Estimable Member

Yes, You should buy your second guitar right before you buy your third guitar.

Dave

Sometimes in life you get shown the light,
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 7