Clear all

Should I buy a second guitar?

93 Posts
34 Users
0 Likes
14.5 K Views
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

Let's see...at my house we have 3 acoustic guitars, 1 electric guitar, 1 mandolin, i ukelele, 1 hammond organ, 1 electric keyboard, 2 basses, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones, 1 tuba, 1 violin, and several plastic recorders (those things breed like rabbits)

Do I win?

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

hah, not even close chalk. Nice try though.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

just make sure you deffinatly do not buy your third guitar before you buy your second. you could screw up the entire space time continuum thing :shock:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I think I might have already done that Lefty. :lol:

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

I dont think you should buy the elec. just yet until youre sure that youre gonna stick w/this guitar playing thing. It would be excessive and wastefull of you. Save your money for lessons or your gf or something. Right now you are a "guitar player" and until you are a "guitarist" you really dont need an elec. Stick w/ your acoustic for now.

P.S.- Plus it looks pretty silly when someone sees that you own two guitars and thinks that your a "guitarist". But then finds out that youre really not all that good yet. Wait a while for the second.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

hah, not even close chalk. Nice try though.

CURSES!!

Note to self: Must go to music store after work...must win GAS competition at all cost. Tell kids, sorry about not going to college and we are eating bologna and ramen noodles for the next year.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Had to give up on the bologna last year.

ReplyQuote
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

So Nick how many guitars do you own then? :)

I am up to 3. A cheap electric 6 string, cheap electric bass, decent nylon string. And one 15 watt amp. I've been playing since about july 1 2004. Time to buy some more? :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

hmmm, I don't remember....I counted a while back and it was less than 20.

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

If you had never used silverware in your life (Forks, spoons, knives, etc) and suddenly one day you realized that they were available. Would you only buy a fork and use the fork until you were pretty good at it. Knowing how to grasp it properly, how to angle it to get the food on top, how much you could trust it to hold the food all the way to your mouth? Or would you buy a fork, spoon and a knife so that you could use each for its normal proper use: knowing that you would get better at all of them as you used it throughout your lifetime?

If you can afford it, i'd get the whole set.

I really need to get OFF this diet.

Geoo

ROFL! So should I have a second wedding with my wife just so I can get the boxed stainless steel set that includes the fifteen different types of utensils? :D

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Don't have a second wedding to your current wife

Marry another girl then you might out do Nick

I'm sure he has only one of them

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :

Sorry Nick just could not resist

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Ah, yes, 2nd wife. Bad idea. Especially if the 1st wife doesn't like her

2nd guitar, though....

Two guitars good. Two wives bad....

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

I personally solved the problem of 'should I buy a second guitar' by buying a second guitar. Problem solved. I remember saying to myself that I maybe should wait until I could actually play the first one before buying the second one. Then I ignored that voice of foolishness and got the Highway Strat to go with the Blueridge Acoustic. For a while it seemed strange going from one to the other but that soon passed and now I'm comfortable with either in my hands and I practice with both. Buyers remorse? Not one minute of it. Should I have waited to see if I was going to continue playing my guitar or gone on to the next thing like a bored easily distracted goober? Well heck, you know yourself and if you know you aren't going to abandon playing even when you get you get to those annoying barre chords or whatever you find annoying and impossible to get around. So buy what you can afford, what won't get you in trouble with spouses, parents or parole officers and what you like.

Personally I'm looking at this Showmaster double humbucker black/red wood stained thing of beauty. Have no idea what it sounds like but I like it. Also there is a Guild or a Blueridge I'm looking at. You know, for that alternate tuning, deeper bass or better for fingerstyle higher end acoustic in my future. You know, the question after 'should I buy a second guitar' becomes 'do I get my second acoustic or my second electric guitar next?' Now that's a tough question. :lol:

The Showmaster I like in the middle and the guy from Hauer's setting up the Blueridge I was wanting to buy. Setting it up for someone else who bought it! I hate when that happens.

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

hmmm, I don't remember....I counted a while back and it was less than 20.

So...your divorced right? :D

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Everyone needs:

12-string accoustic
6-string accoustic
hollow body electric
solid body electric (single coils)
solid body electric (humbuckers)

After that you need to have backups, spares, and extras for alternative tunings (if you're into that).

Then of course there's the guitars you own because they are collectors items, great deals, or go really nicely with the coffee table ...

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 7