Skip to content
Dumb Question - How...

Notifications
Clear all

Dumb Question - How do I play garage rock?

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
37.4 K Views
(@noobie)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

First: I have no idea how you are going to answer this, but here goes anyways since google has yielded no answers

I've been playing guitar for a year and I've always loved garage rock, but I can't seem to play it at all. I got power chords, major chords (minus the barres, I simply can't do them), and most minors.

I think some of my problem is getting the beat with the fast rhythmn and muting on chords, but my I also think my tone isn't anywhere close either. Ideally I'd like to mix garage with a little bit of surf, then fuzz it up a little to make it more in your face. Think of Beach Boys interludes attacked by a faster paced Stooges. Any recommendations on gear, scales, etc.? Do I need a surf guitar (I'd love a mosrite, if I ever get rich after school I'm definitely buying one)

Thanks, that is the best way to describe it I think

plz im a noob

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Make sure you play with the tone knobs on your amp a lot. Most amps and guitars, no matter how lame, can produce a decent tone. I wasn't too impressed with my Crate GFX-15 and Squier Strat when I first got them, but after getting a lot of practice with them I like them a lot. Other than that, practice the things you think you need and learn plenty of songs in the style you're going for so you know how they're played.

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

i think u need to invest in a garage AHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

The rules of garage rock:

1. Three chords, no more, no less.
3. Lyrics must be no deeper than a puddle.
4. No solos!
5. The bassist (not required) may only play root notes.
6. Have the other guys in your band do backing vocals that restate key terms lead singer says. You don't want to lose the attention of your audience.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

That's a very, very bad definition of garage rock.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

the Stooges! excellent.
garage rock is attitude. simple chords and basic lyrics.
all attitude.
play it fast
play it loose.
barre your chords and downstroke.
and remember I V VII

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

i dunno fellaz i think garage rock can be any kind of rock in a garage

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Not neccicarily. When I think garage rock I think of stuff from the 50's like The Troggs.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

garage rock is a whole genre of music for sure.
Shadows of Night, The Troggs, The Stooges , the Seeds ("Pushin Too Hard").
mid to late sixties.

do a google search. I ve seen a catalog where you can order vinyl and Cds.

not the best rock ever done.
in fact most bands of this genre were oner hit wonders.
I dont care I like this stuff.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@deanobeano)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

i think u need to invest in a garage AHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Your sir, are Brilliant.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@noobie)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ha, thanks for all the responses. When i refer to garage I am referring to the 50s-60s stuff, just i am trying to play it a little beefed up. There were a couple of "garage" bands that were in the 80-90s seattle music group such as girl trouble and that is what really got me interested in the style of music. Most the time it comes off too punk/pop punk when i try to play it if you know what I mean.

A drummer and bassist might help me get a better tempo tho

plz im a noob

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Noobie

If you are interested in Surf I would say go with a very clean amp and lots of reverb. That is the classic surf sound. Go with a Fender Twin Reverb.

The Stooges? This is a little different. I have one old Stooges album, so I don't know if I am completely sure of their style. But it was characterized by one loud very overdriven rhythm guitar (Marshall amp?), with the lead playing a very clean, but very overdriven tone (Fender?).

I was truly in a garage band a few years ago. Our drummer was a mechanic. He convinced his boss to let us practice at his shop. I have a video of us practicing underneath a car on a lift.
That garage had good acoustics too. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@noobie)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I don't have the money nor the need for the power of a twin. I'm a poor college student and have actually been looking into trying to aquire some used vintage gear, but have yet to have any luck. Ideally I'd like to aquire a p90 equipped univox, or equivalent mosrite knock off of the era. As for amps, no clue.

I've only been playing a year, and I started out playing alt rock, but within the past 4-5 months have gotten bored and found myself listening to garage and a little bit of surf. I like overdriven/noisy garage and I like surf riffs (I can't play these. No idea what scales to use, and alot of times when I look up tabs it's just the chord progression), and I'd like to somehow mix them together. Don't get me wrong, I can put together some of the surf licks I hear, but no idea on how/why the notes played were played as I'm not a music buff at all.

I live in Texas, and when I mention I like surf...I get all kinds of bizarre looks. I just wish I could play some of it.

May want to move this to Hear Hear, but here is a quick little attempt I tried to make to fuse surf (if you really want to call it that, Is it really a branch of surf or am I misinformed? Whatever it is, I'm horrible at it) with a little fuzz power chords on crappy recording equipment. Reference so you can see what you guys are working with here.

http://media.putfile.com/My-Attempt16

plz im a noob

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Noobie

I would say most Surf songs use normal Rock scales. Study the Major, Major Pentatonic, and Minor Pentatonic and you will have most of it covered.

An old vintage Fender amp will cost you much more than a modern reissue.

You can pick up a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for $300-400. It has an excellent clean channel and plenty of reverb. You can easily get Surf tones with this amp.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2