Clear all

E string close to edge of fretboard

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@canucks12)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I haver been playing acoustic for a couple of years and recently picked up a used Fender Nashville Telecaster (Mexican) as my first electric. I love this guitar except for one issue, which I was hoping to get some input on.

The 6th or E string is very close to the edge of the fretboard and sometimes will slip off when I am playing.
I know one of the reason's is likely my un-polished technique, but is this also flaw in setup or build quality of my guitar. Can adjustments be made to fix this issue? If so; how can this be done? The first string has plenty of room near it's edge.

I appreciate any input.

Scott

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I, too, noticed this when I first started playing my Fender Tele. What I found was that the guitar is so easy to play and ready to allow string bending, I had to adjust my playing to accomodate the guitar. While keeping that in mind, be happy your tele has that response capability. Soon you will probably enjoy that as a feature.

Happy playing!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

You didn't mention what gauge strings you are using....I have >09's on my Agile LP and sometimes the high E strings does the same thing...

You could try thicker gauge string

ReplyQuote
(@lucam)
Eminent Member

It's the same thing I was worried about!
The low (thick) E is closer to the edge than the high (thin) E string.
I noticed this on my new wonderful MIM Standard Tele, and began to think that it was not setup properly.
It's not a big problem since it's not frequent to deal with high frets on the low E string and doesnt cause any problem up on the neck.
Maybe this guitar is just setup this way... hope so...

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

I've got the same problem on my peavy...

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I used to do this alot, with both E Strings.

Remember Guys.. Your guitar is like a lady.. Finger her Gently...errr that didn't come out right.... :oops:

Uhhh what I meant was.. :oops: :roll:

I'd roll my Low E off the fingerboard when I got a bit over zealous like switching to an Open G Chord and I'd try to get there to fast and well.

I've learned, and still am learning its takes a "LIGHT TOUCH" to get my Ladies (Geetars) Singing. :)

Sorry.. its Friday and my Freud is slipping all over the place today.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

I, too, noticed this when I first started playing my Fender Tele. What I found was that the guitar is so easy to play and ready to allow string bending, I had to adjust my playing to accomodate the guitar. While keeping that in mind, be happy your tele has that response capability. Soon you will probably enjoy that as a feature.

Happy playing!

I'll second that, Bish - I notice it when switching from Strat to Tele - soon get used to it, then relish it. It's just a matter of letting your hands adjust to the sensitivity of the neck. (I use 9's always, never been tempted to get higher - sound as much as anything ...

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

No doubt, PV. I think that is true while switching from most guitars to the Tele. I haven't done much up close and personal inspection/comparisons but I think my Tele has a very pronounced arch to the fretboard. That has a little to do with losing the low E sometimes.

I'm pretty used to it now and it really is so easy to play, like Dagwood stated. Finger lightly and they will sing. :shock: Did that sound bad? Good. :twisted:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i had that problem with my Squier '51, and it turned out the saddle for the high E was so poorly adjusted that the string wasn't "right." so i took it in for a setup and he readjusted the saddle and now the string stays where it should. silly squier setter-uppers.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Say that 4 times fast....
silly squier setter-uppers.

And I'll have to give you De-Caf..... LOL

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote