Clear all

Easy songs to play?

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@cheesebeard)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all, i've been learning to play guitar for around 3 months now and thought it was about time to attempt some simple songs..problem is i'm not sure of the type i should be attempting. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on the type of song they found easy enough early on? If it helps, i know some of the major/sus/dominant chords and have been practising the F barre chord.

Thanks a lot for any help :).

(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Give some of the songs here at GuitarNoise a try. Should be plenty to keep you going. 8)

You might also want to try some in the Easy Song Database forum.

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@cheesebeard)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ah great thanks - didn't even realize there wa an easy songs forum :oops: .

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

the easy song forum is great for peeps just like you. But i think what you really need to decide is what type of music you want to play. Don't get me wrong, you should learn songs in other genre's, it will help you out alot in learning different styles etc.

I'm going to suggest that you find some 3 and 4 chord songs to start out with. It wil be easier to learn the song all the way through....which is what you should always try to do.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Songs with a half dozen chords or less are a good place to start. Neil Young, Bob Dylan, CCR. If your into that kind of music. Green Day, Nirvana or others if you like harder stuff. Let us know what your tastes are, then we can be of more help.

P.S. Welcome to the Board!

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@fishrmann)
Trusted Member

The beginners songs area here is GREAT! You can also find tabs on pretty much anything you like doing a few searches, there are enough 3, 4, or 5 chord songs to keep someone occupied for quite a while 8)

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

It is difficult to play a song, as a beginner, unless you know what it sounds like. So a place to start would be your own music database in your head. Pick a song you know well, know what it should sound like. Then search it out. If not here, you can try OLGA.net (OnLine Guitar Archive). Does it have chords that are in your current comfort zone? Now you just need to find the right strumming pattern to use to where you can recognise the song.

While its good to branch out to music you normally wouldn't play to broaden your abilities I think its best to play what you like and know in the beginning.

Rock on,
Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

whatever song you'd like to learn (and yes I would suggest you to start with a tune made of no more than a handful open chords), be sure to have a recording of it in your cd collection. It is only by listening to it that you could understand any advice about its strumming or chord changes you may have get i.e. in the Easy song database or in the Song beginners section of this forum

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

You should be learning easy strum songs. There's tons of songs that are basically G, C, D with maybe one other chord. Something kind of slow to pick up the strum pattern. Maybe some Creedence - Have You Ever Seen the Rain. Lodi, some Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, Dylan, Brown Eyed Girl, Redemption Song, After The Gold Rush,

ReplyQuote
(@cheesebeard)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks for all the help :)

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

of course it could be easy to play a song if you know a bit about strummin patterns. If you can play a pattern like

D/Du/U/Du

there are literally hundreds of three or four chords songs that you can play (i.e. most of CCR tunes), otherwise there are not so many really easy songs around and by the way I would not define Redemption song as an easy one since it is mainly muted eight notes downstrum....

Matteo

p.s. "Horse with no name" is always referred as one of the simplest song around, true for the chords but the original strummin involves some bass notes and syncopated ones so it is not that easy

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

As you go along and get better, I would also suggest that you learn to play the song without looking at the tab in front of you. Learn to memorize it, in little stages at a time. I have been doing this lately and it has increased my song base SO much. Plus once you have a song memorized you will feel more comfortable about putting your own style to it. Good luck

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote