Clear all

Electric pickups

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ive seen alot posted about humbuckler pickups, so I'm assuming they are one of the better pickups. What about the BurstBucker ones on the Les Paul Standards. TRying to decide what my upgrade 2nd guitar will be so just trying to learn a little ahead of time. I really like the Les Pauls so far

(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

As far as humbuckers vs single coils, it's a matter of prefrence. Single coils can have more noise and hum, but that can pretty much be eliminated by having your guitar properly sheilded.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So there's not alot of difference in the Gibson Les Pauls and the Fender Strats then as far as pickups go then right?? I have large fingers and it appears the Fenders have larger frets.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

There is a big difference. The fenders (single coils) have more bite and are more pristine (clean, pure, i dunno) and Gibsons (usually humbuckers) are more powerful, less highs, and just a different type of tone.

I personally like single coils better but i enjoy a good humbucker from time to time.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

but I enjoy a good humbucker from time to time.

Why does it seem that could be taken more ways than one?

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

So there's not alot of difference in the Gibson Les Pauls and the Fender Strats then as far as pickups go then right?? I have large fingers and it appears the Fenders have larger frets.

Fenders, with their longer scale length, would have the frets just ever so slightly wider apart than the Gibsons. But Gibson neck feel roomier (for larger fingers) because they're a little wider at the nut and don't taper as much; Fenders taper more so they'll be more cramped feeling at the nut and roomier at the higher frets. Gibsons normally use wider fretwire, which might also contribute to making them feel cramped, whereas Fenders most times have narrower fretwire, making them feel more spacious.

And then there's the really noticeable difference in feeling between playing a Fender, which has a flat top, as compared to a Les Paul with its arched top. That was the one thing that really took me a while to get used to, going from a Les Paul to a Strat. Now, having played them both for so long, it really isn't an issue.

Best to try them both out and decide which physically feels better to you. There's also the possibilit of getting a Fender with full size humbuckers (a Fat Strat maybe) or even stacked humbuckers, or a Gibson with humbuckers with coil splitters (to give you a single coilish sound - not exactly like a Fender though), or to get a Gibson with P90 single coils. So you can go either way :)

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Izabella wrote:
but I enjoy a good humbucker from time to time.

Why does it seem that could be taken more ways than one?

You could look at this thread with a dirty mind and be very entertained.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Haha. That uhh... wasnt intended. :lol:

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote