Clear all

Fender 14s, Washburn D10s, or other for 1st acoustic

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@swifty)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Which one do you think is better for a first time guitar owner?

A. Fender 14s

B. Washburn D10s

C. Other

(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

For a relatively cheap acoustic, i love the Fender DG10ce. I think that's the model. Sounds good, has electronics, all for under $300. I want one for myself hehehe

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
 bltc
(@bltc)
Trusted Member

I suggest the Yamaha f10. Its cheap and will build up your skills. Just make sure you change the strings right away. The ones they start you off with are horrible.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

For a relatively cheap acoustic, i love the Fender DG10ce. I think that's the model. Sounds good, has electronics, all for under $300. I want one for myself hehehe

I had a fender DG10. The one I had was junk. It's all laminated and mine needed to have the action adjusted before it was halfway playable, that cost $50. The electronics are also poor quality. imho.

As for the two guitars asked about, they both have solid wood tops, which is a minimum requirement for me. You may do alright with them. If it was me I'd buy a $500 Seagull or a $700 Tacoma. You get what you pay for.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@swifty)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I selected the guitars that I did becuase they had a solid top which I heard was a necessary requirement(even for beginners). The problem is that I really cannot tell the differences between the different low end guitars. Most people on the form talk about trying out the different guitars. I cannot even play one note yet, so this would not help me. I really do not know anything about buying a guitar. I go into a store look at all of the guitars around the $200 level and cannot tell which one is the best, and then I am hesitant on which one to buy. I have hear dsome negative things about the "begginer guitar sets" so looked at the next level up, which I believe are the guitars that I listed above. I am looking for a guitar that will sound good and be inexpensive(If this helps at all?) :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

Once again, I have to chime in and say really good things about my Epiphone DR100. It's not a solid top, but I'll be darned if I could hear a notable difference between it and the Yamaha solids I was trying out at the same time. It has great tone, excellent sustain, nice action, and it looks good to boot (has the sunburst finish.) It also just *felt* right, much more comfortable in my hands than many of the other guitars I tried that day.

Oh, and it only cost me US$120. :)

I'm sure lots of folks would disagree with my choice, but I think I got a great guitar at a great price.

(edit) Here are the Harmony Central user reviews on it: http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Epiphone/DR-100VS-01.html

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'd take a look at the Fender DG-22s or DG-25s. the Washburn D21-s, the Seagull Folk or S6.

Those are all under 300 bucks and are really nice guitars that will last you past the beginner stage. Don't be afraid to buy used either.

ReplyQuote