fingerpicking or flatpicking?

15 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

A silly question:

I'm fully accustomed to flatpicking.however I have seen some pieces are better played in finger style ....the thing is: should a guitarist avoid fingerpicking completely?

thank you

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

No, they're both useful techniques to know. Then there's "hybrid picking," that's some of both.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

should a guitarist avoid fingerpicking completely?

Yes - recent research has established links with severe personality disorders, including inexplicable change of spoken accent, ranging from an Irish brogue to Appalachian and Texan drawl, an increased appetite for sex but decreased opportunity to find the time to do it due to the extra practice time required, leading to frustration and depression - which eventually limits your playing style to acoustic fingerstyle blues. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Learn to fingerpick, if you want. There is no "correct" answer - it all depends on what you want to accomplish.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Yes - recent research has established links with severe personality disorders, including inexplicable change of spoken accent, ranging from an Irish brogue to Appalachian and Texan drawl, an increased appetite for sex but decreased opportunity to find the time to do it due to the extra practice time required, leading to frustration and depression - which eventually limits your playing style to acoustic fingerstyle blues. :lol:

So that explains it! :wink:

I don't use a pick at all, and I've been idly wondering about my occasional bouts of howling at the moon, talking in confused mumbles, regretting I never had a sister to try and molest, knuckles tending to drag on the ground, etc.

I'd assumed it was just part of the ageing process. :?

Better go and buy a few picks right away..... on second thoughts, I've kind of got used to being that way now...

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Better go and buy a few picks right away..... on second thoughts, I've kind of got used to being that way now...

Me too Chris - too late to change now. I'm just glad I never learned flamenco - I notice most of them speak in a strong Andalucian Spanish dialect. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

ROFLMAO! Too true!!! :lol:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

should a guitarist avoid fingerpicking completely?

explains my closeness with my cousin.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Learning to fingerpick will definitely expand your playing abilities. I recommend it wholeheartedly! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

I second Electrablues statement - it will expand your playing abilities 8) .

I learned to do both flatpick and fingerpick for the very reason many songs need to be fingerpicked.

And IMHO I am still sane (kinda).

B.S. :)

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

:shock: I don't even know the difference between the two...but it seems to me learning a new technique means more/different sounds which I think is a good thing. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

:shock: I don't even know the difference between the two...but it seems to me learning a new technique means more/different sounds which I think is a good thing. :wink:

Flatpicking means using a pick to play the strings; fingerpicking involves using your fingers. The advantage of using fingers is that you can play many combinations of strings at the same time, which is impossible with the pick alone (unless the strings happen to be adjacent to each other).

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

Ah thanks, that was my suspicion :D

ReplyQuote
(@shahdhch)

I am waiting on my books for fingerpicking...I really want to learn this style.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Me too Chris - too late to change now. I'm just glad I never learned flamenco - I notice most of them speak in a strong Andalucian Spanish dialect. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:mrgreen:

ReplyQuote