Notifications
Clear all

FingerStyle

20 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

I usually strum hotel california, or what I know of it, and this morning I tried fingerpicking it using the couple patterns i know, and I was like this might sound okay with a little practice.

ReplyQuote
(@uberlc)

do you guys pick the strings with your nail or the tip of your finger?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I can use nails, finger pads (tips) or fingerpicks, but usually end up using finger pads unless my nails happen to be uniform and in good condition (almost never). The sound of finger pads is softer and less distinct, but can be tweaked by using different strings or processing if an electric/electro-acoustic. Also, over time one develops calluses on the picking fingers which make the sound a little more distinct than from soft, "virgin" skin.

There are a variety of pretty cool fingerpicks available, that are quite streamlined and emulate the nail. Because I can never keep a full set where I can find them, I only use fingerpicks on guitar occasionally.

Another approach which I like more and more is hybrid picking. For this, a regular pick is held between thumb and index (typical fashion) and the remaining two (or three) fingers pick directly (nail or pad). This takes some practice to master, but is an extremely flexible method of playing, as one can instantly switch from fingerpicking to flat picking and back. An interesting variation on this is using a thumbpick instead of a flatpick. This frees up the index finger for picking.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I use the nails as a rule (I play classical too, though, so I keep the nails I need in good shape). On certain tunes I'll use the pads for the tone quality - to have a choice you need to keep your nails as short as you can and still be able to get a nail tone; then you can angle your fingertips slightly and strike with just the pads.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I play with my fingernails. I keep them cut off to just beyond the tip of my finger.... just enough to grab the string, but not so long that it might grab the string underneath. I also use clear fingernail polish on my right hand to help strengthen the nails and I never cut the nails on my right hand, I only file them.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2