Notifications
Clear all

first chords

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@chrisdawson)
Topic starter  

ive learnt my first couple chourds, i no it aint much, buty i seriosly think im gonna not give up on guitar, i feel great!

dead men tell no tales

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Chris.

The other positive thing to note is that once you have learned your first two chords, you probably have a whole bunch more at your disposal without doing much.

I'll give you an example if you let us know which ones you have learned.

Over to you and well done, and you're right. You won't give up now!

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

Good job! You'll find the more you learn the harder it is to put down the guitar!

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Great to hear your having fun. After awhile you it will get to were everything sounds so good you want to put it down. Then in the wee hours of the morning when your world starts getting thin and halfway throught Metallica's verson of "turn the page" from somewhere in the house you'll hear,
Quote: Aren't you going to bed or you never spend anytime with me anymore.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@chrisdawson)
Topic starter  

let us know which ones you have learned.

ive learnt the chourds C, D, E, G, A & F,

dead men tell no tales

ReplyQuote
(@rob-l)
Trusted Member

Chris,

Good luck! Learn a little bit, like some major chords, and the when you've got that down add to it. Try learning the minor chords of each. For example, on the E chord pick up your index finger (s/b on G string, 1st fret) now you're playing an E minor chord.

Rob

Well I got this guitar and I'm tryin' to learn how to make it talk.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Chris

What i meant was -

On the C chord - take first finger off the B string 2nd fret. Now you are playing Cmaj7 (X32000).

On the D chord, take whicher finger you have on the high E off, (xx0230) Dsus2, OR add pinky to high E string, 3rd fret (xx0233) Dsus4.

On the E, take your first finger off the G string first fret to get E minor (022000). OR take your middle finger off the D string 2nd fret to get E7 020100)

On the G, notice the slightly different voicing if you plant pinky and ring finger on the 3rd fret of the high E and B string. Instead of 320003 you get 320033. Used in a LOT of songs (Wonderwall springs to mind).

On the A you have a multitude of chords at your disposal. Depending on how you are fingering it, just by lifting one finger off a string you can play -

A7 - x02020
Asus2 x00220

By adding pinky you can get x02223

What i am saying is if you can learn these chords well, just your basic C D E G A and F will give you access to a lot more sounds and chords than you currently imagine. And a lot of songs use progressions that revolve around these.

Try strumming D, Dsus4,D, Dsus2, D and see how you get on. Sounds awful.....but all it is is taking a finger off / adding pinky.

Good luck and hope you progress at the rate you want to!

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@chrisdawson)
Topic starter  

thanks for all the posts! n ur al right its damn hard to put down the guitar i just cant help but pick it up n practise

dead men tell no tales

ReplyQuote